I plan in starting this with only a Network+ behind me will i have problems

why would you start with 217?
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    mickythumbsmickythumbs Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems to be one topic Active Directory and its assiciations
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I haven't taken the 217, I'm still on 70-210. But, I would say that you're going to get sidetracked and learn a lot about everything before you understand the material. In my study for the 210, I got so curious that I bought a book just on Active Directory before I got into the exam guide more than 5 or 6 chapters.

Either way you go, to really get a handle on the M$ exam material, you almost have to set up a practice network. Then, that involves Active Directory as it relates to Windows server and Windows workstation OSs in Domain scenarios.

It should be an interesting approach. Not necessarily a bad idea. Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    If someone far more experianced than me said well and truely NO it can't be done then i would reconsider so guys is it go for it or forget it

Thanks
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone far more experianced than me said well and truely NO it can't be done then i would reconsider so guys is it go for it or forget it

Thanks

Can it be done. Yes. Are you making the MCSE journey more difficult by doing this exam first. Yes.

Unless you work with Active Directory on a daily basis in a large environment, I would suggest taking 210 (or 270) and 215 first.

I have taken the Net+, 210, 215, 217, and 219. By taking 217 first, you are trying to jump half way up the ladder, by skipping the bottom steps. While this might be possible, it will be difficult and frustrating.

But, if you get through 217 first, the client and 215 will seem easy.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    thanks for the input
  • Options
    MindrakerMindraker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think that if you at a bare minimum take the 70-215 before the Active Directory exam, you will have some exposure to A.D. while you study.
    So far, I have found the tests & study guides to be in a logical order -- if you study for the 70-210, test material "overlaps" onto the 70-215. Similarly, while studying for the 70-215, test material "overlaps" onto the 216.
    Not everyone thinks like I do, but...
  • Options
    RexelRexel Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suggest the following order:
    210,215,217,218,216 for the core stuff ... this to me is a natural progression. I've begun studying for 216 prior to 217 and already regret the decision but am so far through the study that I simply can't stop now ...
  • Options
    TechGeekProTechGeekPro Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rexel wrote:
    I suggest the following order:
    210,215,217,218,216 for the core stuff ...
    I would too. Unless of course you're planning on taking 70-219 in which case I would take it immediately after taking 70-217. This was my course of action.
    Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable.