How can I configure my Roture to access internet

toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am trying to access internet from my network. Could you please tell me how can I configure my Router to get internet access to my home network. My router model is 2501.

thanks

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What type of internet connection do you have?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    What type of internet connection do you have?

I have cable modem broad band....
    You can't do it with a 2501, it has one Ethernet interface and you need 2. Additionally the 2500's are not designed to forward packets at the data rates provided by a cable modem so you will really want to look into a 2621 at a minimum, a 2611xm would be a better choice.
    dtlokee wrote:
    You can't do it with a 2501, it has one Ethernet interface and you need 2. Additionally the 2500's are not designed to forward packets at the data rates provided by a cable modem so you will really want to look into a 2621 at a minimum, a 2611xm would be a better choice.

Is there any other alternatives, apart from buying a new router... I am skint at the moment...
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    topu wrote:
    Is there any other alternatives, apart from buying a new router... I am skint at the moment...

Do you have another 2501? You can connect two of them back-to-back.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    topu wrote:

Do you have another 2501? You can connect two of them back-to-back.

Thanks for your reply...Yes I have another 2501... could you please advice me some alternatives...
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    You will need a DCE/DTE back-to-back cable such as this

For each of the ethernet ports, you will need a transceiver if you don't already have it like this

Connect your 2501's with the back-to-back cable, one 2501's e0 port will connect to your high-speed modem's ethernet port, the other 2501's ethernet port will connect to your home computer or lan switch.

You will need to configure NAT on the WAN facing 2501, to make things really simple, you could also "double-NAT" on the second 2501...

See this thread for other ideas and Setting up NAT

good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Are you intending to actually have your internet connection through these 2501 routers? If so then you're going to discover as dtlokee pointed out earlier, that they're not capable of coping with broadband speeds.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    This is due to not the ethernet inteface but the serial interface and clock rate command which only supports 128k
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    yes, this is horrible, this idea - Samir

I would find a different solution.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    kryolla wrote:
    This is due to not the ethernet inteface but the serial interface and clock rate command which only supports 128k
    128K? The sync serial ports on the 2500 can go significantly faster than that. You can set it all the way to 8000000 if you want but it'll be really unreliable.

It is more basic than that anyway. The CPU in the 2500 series routers is very slow. Cisco only rate it for 4400PPS/2.25Mbps with CEF.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    On NM 4A/s and 8A/S it only allows up tp 128k so I thought it would be the same for 2500 series routers.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • iwormsiworms Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not just buy a used consumer broadband router locally? People sell them on Craigslist for as low as $10, and you can use the saved time to study (unless you learn a lot during this process).
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    iworms wrote:
    Why not just buy a used consumer broadband router locally? People sell them on Craigslist for as low as $10, and you can use the saved time to study (unless you learn a lot during this process).

iworms,

Maybe because he's trying to pursue the CCNA(R) certification so he's trying to get some hands on experience with Cisco equipment and not a used consumer broadband router.