Options

whats going on here

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
okay guys, since thursday i've been ahving a strange problem on one of my PC's.

The keyboard is not working in windows. i can go through bios and such. Its a logitech G15. I also tried another keyboard, which did not work. This occurs in 2 different partitions of XP.

When i go to device manager, under the keyboards thing the HID Keyboard (that may not be exactly the name that shows up) appears three times, each with an exclamation point by it.

I've tried uninstalling it from there, deleting the drivers, etc.

Tried it on a few different USB ports as well, no workey. Not sure what to do here besides a clean install.

Any suggestions?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    What did you do with the system prior to Thursday? Did you run any updates? Install any hardware? Change any configurations? And have you tried rolling back to your latest restore point?
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    Darthn3ss wrote:

The keyboard is not working in windows. i can go through bios and such. Its a logitech G15. I also tried another keyboard, which did not work. This occurs in 2 different partitions of XP.

When i go to device manager, under the keyboards thing the HID Keyboard (that may not be exactly the name that shows up) appears three times, each with an exclamation point by it.

Tried it on a few different USB ports as well, no workey. Not sure what to do here besides a clean install.

Any suggestions?

If you can get the machine into safe mode what happens? Can you use the keyboard then? If so, try running an sfc /scannow from a command prompt. Some dll or ocx could be out of whack. If you want to try something else, boot from a bootable cd (Ubuntu or something) and try using the keyboard there.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    What did you do with the system prior to Thursday? Did you run any updates? Install any hardware? Change any configurations? And have you tried rolling back to your latest restore point?
    Thursday i used remote desktop and connected from the help desk, i uninstalled vmware 1.6 and then installed 2.0

thats about it. as far as updates, not that i know of. as far as rolling back drivrs or restore point, there is none icon_sad.gif

• Options
    sexion8 wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

If you can get the machine into safe mode what happens? Can you use the keyboard then? If so, try running an sfc /scannow from a command prompt. Some dll or ocx could be out of whack. If you want to try something else, boot from a bootable cd (Ubuntu or something) and try using the keyboard there.
    keyboard does not work in safe mode, but will work pre-windows in bios.

• Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Reinstall Windows?? icon_scratch.gif
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    keyboard does not work in safe mode, but will work pre-windows in bios.

How about a bootdisk say Ubuntu, would the keyboard work then. You could try to boot from the Windows Installation CD and try a repair.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would first go for doing a system restore back to when the keyboard was working. Then I would try clearing out both the keyboard drivers and usb drivers from the device manager to make sure that all gets reset. If still no love then clear the driver cache and then remove the device manager drivers so that it forces you to pull them from the Windows cd. That will eliminate any possibility of it restoring from corrupt drivers. A repair install would also be worth trying as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will other stuff work on the USB ports, like a mouse?
    In the bios, check for USB options, and also maybe something under "peripherals" settings and make sure all is well there. Otherwise see this thread:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/593498.html

The author indicated that some conflicting drivers programs (logitech and microsoft) may have caused the problem.
    OK everyone I sorted the issue. I did a repair install of Windows and it sorted it all out.

Seems that it was just a driver conflict within Windows because when I finally got in and could use the keyboard and mouse I found that they had logitech software running as well as some Microsoft keyboard software which is what probably caused the issues in the first place.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Is there any addition keyboard/mouse software installed over the drivers? Microsoft keyboards come with the IntelliPoint software, so I assume that Logitech has a similar package. If so, try uninstalling the keyboard software and reinstalling the latest release from Logitech's Web site. It's possible that damaged software will mess with non-Logitech keyboards too.