Options

ICND2 640-816 passed!

clamzclamz Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey folks, took the ICND2 exam today and after 3-4 months of off and on studying I'm happy to say I passed. Scored a 903/1000, minimum score to pass is 825.

After sitting down and getting settled in, I got to question 5 and the exam crashed on me! So I got to move across the room, it worked out better since nobody was over on that side of the room.

Here is the breakdown:

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications: 80%
Implement an IP addressing scheme 100%
Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on cisco devices: 80%
Implement, verify and troubleshoot NAT and ACL's: 83%
Implement and verify WAN links: 100%

Resources used:

CBTNuggets 640-816 (highly recomended)
Train Signal 640-816 (good for routing protocols OSPF and Eigrp)
Wendell Odom ICND2 Cisco Press
CCNA Flash Cards, Eric Rivard and Jim Doherty (these are good, especially at the end of the book they have a summation of all configurations and important keynotes for each chapter in ICND2)
Boson Simulator (I found to be OK, some questions are out of scope)

Final thoughts:

It was tough! A lot harder then 640-822, don't sweat questions if you don't know! Take your best guess and move on to the next question! Time can creep up on you, a few times I had to sit back, take a deep breath and refocus. I had about 5 min to spare at the end.

I plan on attempting my CCNP next, possibly ISCW. But I'm unsure, maybe I can get some advice from some people here. Is it best to go for your CCNP then your CCVP? Or maybe a step back and get your CCNA for voice?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    clamz wrote:
    Is it best to go for your CCNP then your CCVP? Or maybe a step back and get your CCNA for voice?
    What's your experience? What are the job opportunities where ever your located? What are you interested in?

The CCVP FAQ has a Can I go straight from the CCNA to the CCVP without doing the CCNP? section.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    congrats on the pass a nice score :D
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    Hey Mike, my experience in a production environment is limited but I'm fortunate to work for a company with nice cisco lab setup. There is a lot of opportunity around here for R&S, security and voice. So it is just a matter of me picking something and going with it.

I read your CCVP forum that you linked and I gathered that you need to have a good background in telecom if you plan on jumping directly from CCNA --> CCVP. After reading more in detail about the CCNP coursework I feel that it is an essential fundamental to have regardless of what track you go on.

So I think this is the order they recommend? BSCI, BMSCN, ISCW AND ONT? Maybe this isn't for this forum but what are some good resources for this line of tests besides the cisco press 5th edition books?
  • Options
    A telecom background would make the CCVP easier. A telecom guy trying to do the CCVP has to wade through (and get by) all the CCNA networking stuff to reach the point where their telecom background gives them an advantage over the data network guys -- so a data networking guy can do the same and learn the telecom stuff they need while studying for the CCVP.

A GOOD CCVP without a CCNP might be worth more to a company than a CCNP without a CCVP. If you did the CCVP you'd still probably want to eventually get the CCNP to maximize your advancement potential. But a lot depends on how fast you learn (and how smart you are) and how much time your employer gives you to learn (or how much time the other employees have to train you).

For the CCNP Books (and suggestions) check out the CCNP FAQ (for the link to the Cisco Press CCNP page). Use the Study Guides to start (if available) and then the Exam Certification guides for your review. At the professional level exams you definitely want to keep an eye on the exam blueprints and fill in any gaps in your knowledge (and the suggested books) using the Cisco Documentation and Cisco White Papers. Some of the FAQ links will also mention the "CCIE Books" that some of would recommend if you want more in depth (and better) explanations on some of the topics.

Different people (with different experience) may suggest different exam orders... but BSCI/BCMSN as the first 2 exams does probably make the most sense -- unless you have lots of experience with the topics covered in the "last two" exams. Just remember, the first real test of a CCNP Candidate is their selection of their exam order. :D
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    sorry to get off topic.

but mike man.. Everytime i see you post a topic or such, i cant help but to stare. I always stare at your list of certifications. Man your a genius. I get inspired by looking at your list.. Thinking to myself, i want to be on that level.

if i may ask, what type of job do you have.. i can probably bet you can get a job anywhere with all of those certs.

and if one might ask... When are you getting your CCIE. icon_lol.gif
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good score! I hope to be able to post mine in the near future.
  • Options
    there is no way I'm touching a PBX!! haha, we just got rid of ours at the company I work at. That is one of the barriers that I'm apprehensive to touch is telecom. I see your point though, I guess my main focus is to gauge what specialization I want to pursue. I read today in the CCNP forum that R&S has a good mix of voice and security. So that would be a good way to figure out what interests me more. Thanks for the input! Oh btw, nice cert list =) How is ccie coming along?

-Cam
  • Options
    lildeezul wrote:
    what type of job do you have..
    I run a Barn 'n Breakfast for Cats.... or at least that's what it feels like sometimes :D

And in my spare time, for over 10 years now, I've been doing contract work.
    lildeezul wrote:
    When are you getting your CCIE.
    On my next CCIE Lab attempt!!! (hopefully)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    I run a Barn 'n Breakfast for Cats.... or at least that's what it feels like sometimes :D
    Hell, I've got just the one. She's got a bit of a goddess-complex, so it's a full-time job keeping her from killing me in my sleep when she's not happy. Come to think of it, now I realize why I never got married. . . same problem with the exes.

And by the way, nice job on those FAQs. I'd only seen the CCNP version, didn't realize you'd been putting together ones for CCVP and CCSP as well. Damn you, because now I'm tempted to look at them. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job.

Thanks for taking the time to break down your experiences with the test.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    it's a full-time job keeping her from killing me in my sleep when she's not happy.
    I'm sure she isn't trying to kill you....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    it's a full-time job keeping her from killing me in my sleep when she's not happy.
    I'm sure she isn't trying to kill you....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q

This one will: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

Those Simon's Cat videos are fun.