Options

where to get cheap cisco routers?

Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
im looking to get 3 2500 series cisco routers. i know ebay is the place one would look, but shipping is killer, especially if im getting them from 3 diff vendors. already tried craigslist but nothing interesting. these 'ciscokit' sites also seem to overcharge for this stuff. does this forum have a buy/sell section?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try calling some local Cisco partners, you never know what they have lying around, 2500's should be easy to come by.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    could i use 2600 series routers instead of 2500's? any advantages over using the 2500s? if i get 2600 what kind of wic cards should i purchase to go along with them?

thanks
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    could i use 2600 series routers instead of 2500's?
    Yes
    any advantages over using the 2500s?
    Faster CPU, more memory and flash. You can run a newer (not latest) version of IOS on it. You can add NMs and WICs to expand it.
    if i get 2600 what kind of wic cards should i purchase to go along with them?
    WIC-1T or WIC-2T + appropriate cables.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    three letter GNS
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    3 words

hands on equipment
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    You should be able to find 2501s pretty cheap. Anything from that generation below a 2600 is pretty useless now.
  • Options
    Use as many resources you can IMO. I think that actual equipment is better but you can complement that with simulators/emulators if you want to save money/space or just want something portable. GNS3 (3 letters and 1 number icon_wink.gif) and Dynamips have legal issues since Cisco don't let you use IOS with it but *shrug*
  • Options
    rbutturini wrote:
    You should be able to find 2501s pretty cheap. Anything from that generation below a 2600 is pretty useless now.
    2500 routers aren't useful if you actually want to use it for a real network but for a lab its still useful.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. i am looking at getting 3 2600 series routers. 2610, 2611, or 2612. which 3 should i get? also these will come with no WIC card from what im being told. they are asking $40 each. here is what i have already

3x 2950 24p
    1 2621xm

i would like to do everything needed to pass the ccna. this is all coming from one guy btw so i am saving some money if i were to buy everything individually from 3 diff buyers on ebay.

thanks
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    the 2500 are pretty much obsulete they are not worth of spending money even the 2600, they do not support the latest ios and if you wanna move to ccnp they wont help you at all,
    if you want to buy equipment buy 2600xm, or 871 isr routers that would be your best bet, other wise you would be throwing your money away even if you max the memory lol
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best guide to the 2600s ever: http://routergod.com/elizabethhurley/ (Might be NSFW with swimsuit pics)
  • Options
    ilcram19-2 wrote:
    the 2500 are pretty much obsulete they are not worth of spending money even the 2600, they do not support the latest ios and if you wanna move to ccnp they wont help you at all,
    if you want to buy equipment buy 2600xm, or 871 isr routers that would be your best bet, other wise you would be throwing your money away even if you max the memory lol

i will just resell any equipment i have if thats the case after i get my ccna. i know a few people that would buy it off me locally.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ilcram19-2 wrote:

I totally disagree with this statement. The 2600's won't be useless for the CCNP. I know people who use 2500s and 2600s for their CCIE study. Sure you can't do everything you need, but to say they are useless is a stretch to say the least.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2 wrote:

I totally disagree with this statement. The 2600's won't be useless for the CCNP. I know people who use 2500s and 2600s for their CCIE study. Sure you can't do everything you need, but to say they are useless is a stretch to say the least.
    2500 routers are used to inject routes for the CCIE lab.

You don't need to run the latest greatest IOS on your routers. Its nice to be able to but its not essential. Nobody ever said that you must use the 2500 routers as your main ones anyway.

Why would they be useless for CCNP anyway?

2600XM routers are obsolete as well if you check. They can't run the latest IOS either. The last 12.4T release for them in 12.4.15T7 whilst everything else has moved onto 12.4.20T. You can actually wedge in a mainline 12.4 IOS from a 2600XM onto a plain 2600. It'll be a tad unstable due to severely limited RAM but you can do it.

871 routers are limited on features they support and you're stuck with just ethernet/wireless. If you really want to suggest a router which is currently supported, can run the latest greatest IOS and has the ability to be expanded then get an 1841. They're fairly compact, can run a full IOS, expanding RAM is easy since they're just regular SODIMMs and flash storage is a regular CF card. They're not even that expensive on eBay.
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    The only reason you would need the latest IOS is to pick up stuff like SDM, IPS etc., in which case you will need something that can run at least version 12.2 for a subset of the features. The 2500's would make for great border routers and sample setups. Nothing wrong with that at all.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. i am looking at getting 3 2600 series routers. 2610, 2611, or 2612. which 3 should i get? also these will come with no WIC card from what im being told. they are asking $40 each. here is what i have already

3x 2950 24p
    1 2621xm

i would like to do everything needed to pass the ccna. this is all coming from one guy btw so i am saving some money if i were to buy everything individually from 3 diff buyers on ebay.

thanks
    Oops. Forgot about this question!

If that is your choice and you're set on getting 3 then get 3x2611. The 2611 is the same as a 2610 but has 2 ethernet interfaces instead of just 1. The 2612 has 1 ethernet and 1 token ring so its not as useful. Obviously if you can get an amazing deal on any of them then just snap it up.

Get some WIC-1T or WIC-2T cards for the 2600 routers. They'll work in both the 2600 and 2600XM. You'll probably want to make a frame relay router out of one of your 2600 routers as well by adding a NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S.

What type are the 2950 switches? There are two types of firmware loaded into them. Standard Image and Enhanced Image. You can't upgrade from Standard to Enhanced on the 2950 switches. If you want to do everything then you'll want at least 1 EI 2950 but its not essential.

Apart from that, I'd say you were pretty much set for the CCNA. People have managed to pass it with much less equipment.
  • Options
    rbutturini wrote:
    The only reason you would need the latest IOS is to pick up stuff like SDM, IPS etc., in which case you will need something that can run at least version 12.2 for a subset of the features. The 2500's would make for great border routers and sample setups. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Ahh. Got confused about your original post. I thought you said that getting a 2500 would be useless :)
  • Options
    ok so i bought a 2501 and a 2514 off ebay. i also need a frame relay switch. does anyone recommend a good router to use for this? looks like most people have used either a 2520 or a 2521. i also need to know what kind of cables ill need to hook this all up, if the routers need to have thier memory maxed out, what interface cards to buy. my 2621xm looks like its missing the card so i know i will purchase a wic-1t card for this. ive also seen these 'ethernet' converters on some of these 2500 series routers. just wanted to know if these are necessary or optional for everything.

thanks
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    thanks i think ive got all the equipment i need

3x 2950
    1 2501
    1 2514
    1 2520
    1 2610xm with WIC1-T

ive bought all the cables, transcievers i need. last thing is ram. do all the 2500 routers need to be 16/16 each? the 2501 and the 2514 only have 8/8 each.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    do all the 2500 routers need to be 16/16 each?
    Yes, you will eventually want them to be 16/16 to run the enterprise images (12.2) or the last 12.3 image.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    whats the diff between the 2? my company has router ios access at cisco.com, also are all the memory modules the same for all 3 routers? id rather buy everything from one vendor.
  • Options
    whats the diff between the 2?
    RAM and flash. Flash stores IOS. RAM is the working memory. You buy each one separately.
    my company has router ios access at cisco.com
    You're not actually supposed to download things you don't have the correct SMARTnet support contract. Part of the download procedure is that you agree to pay Cisco money for any unauthorised downloads if they ask you for it. I don't think its likely they'll do anything if you suddenly start downoading 25xx images but *shrug*
    also are all the memory modules the same for all 3 routers?
    It is the same type of RAM and flash for the 25xx routers. The 2600XM uses a different kind of RAM and flash.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    whats the diff between the 2?
    RAM and flash. Flash stores IOS. RAM is the working memory. You buy each one separately.

thanks, but i wanted to know what the diff was between 12.2 enterprise and 12.3. i dont even recall reading here about people running 12.3 on these things only 12.2
  • Options
    thanks for everyones help. i have all the routers and switches finalized.

2620xm
    all 2500 routers memory maxed
    3x2950 switches

i wanted to know which IOS's should i be running on all 4? some here have said to run the latest IOS's on everything(12.3-12.4) and some have said run 12.2 on the 2500s as 12.3 doesnt support eigrp?

thanks
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I've got the latest IOS installed on all of my equipment that it will support.

My 2610XM's have 12.4 (21) ios. I can't run the T version because I don't have a large enough Flash...I need 48 and only have 32.

My 2950's are running the latest IOS, but I can't remember it...forgot to tell the wife to turn my equipment on before she left the house so I can get to them :) .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)