Options

Feeling Pretty Dumb...

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Was browsing the forum looking at what people did to pass the CCENT exam and there was talk about having books. I brought a couple different ones and then I started thinking about Books 24/7. Online resource that has electronic copies of books and then I remember that I get access to it through my college (they paid for the subscription for all students). Wouldn't you know that had a bunch of books on Cisco and had the ones I brought. It's a damn shame, but oh well. Figured I'd let people know in case their college offered the same thing!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find that having the physical book is easier to study with rather than staring at a computer screen with a PDF. It is also good to have certain books physically on-hand as references.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a Safari subscription, and I still buy books. It's nice to get away from the screen every once in awhile ;)
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While I was reading Odom's ICND1 book for the first time, I always read from the hard copy in front of me but also had the PDF version on the screen.

I found that there were MANY times where Odom was referring to a diagram that was 2 or 3 pages back and it was annoying constantly flipping back to the diagram and then going back to read what he was talking about, then flipping back, then going back... It was easier to keep the diagram on the monitor and read out of the hard back.

LCD screens kill my eyes after reading text for a long time too.
  • Options
    ChuuChuu Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With the Odom book, the practice exam is worth the cover price. I can't imagine buying the book wtihout it -- and it's keyed to your personal informaton.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chuu wrote:
    With the Odom book, the practice exam is worth the cover price. I can't imagine buying the book wtihout it -- and it's keyed to your personal informaton.

I feel like I am missing something here... I have heard on several occasions people referring to a practice exam that came on the CD. The only one I saw was the one that launched Boson's site and let your download the free trial exam which had about 5 questions on it (maybe just a few more)

There was also one that came in form of a PDF and it was basically just a series of questions but they seemed to be more like supplemental questions rather than structured like an exam...plus there was no way to answer them and have them graded; you had to go through the answer key to check them manually....

Am I missing something on the disc? Any info would be huge for me right now. My exam is exactly one week from today icon_sad.gif!!!!!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Looks like you need the Exam Cert Books to get it. It was a copy of the Boson exam engine + a set of questions.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My understanding is that you just use the code that was included with the CD (it's printed on a small piece of paper and is in the same enclosure as the CD) to activate the exam you download. I didn't do this, so whoever I sell/give my book to can use it; I already had Transcender.