Options

35k for all this????

jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I found this ad on craigslist, they want all these skills and experience yet have the gall to only offer 35k, see for yourself:

Job Description

Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Possesses detailed knowledge of current technology as it relates to this position.
• Possesses decision-making skills and creativity.
• Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills
• Possesses detailed knowledge of Microsoft and Linux operating systems and related software.
• Proficient in scripting/programming languages. (Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, etc)
• Thrives on accepting new challenges and is capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrates the ability to react and succeed in a constantly changing environment.

Experience Requirements:
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years work experience.
• Minimum of 2 to 4 years systems related experience.

Educational Requirements:
• Possesses Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or equivalent work experience.

Purpose:
The System Administrator is responsible for implementation, maintenance and administration of critical business systems and applications. He/She contributes to the design and development of solutions required for business continuity. He/She performs Microsoft Windows and Linux server administration and is responsible for backups of all critical data and systems. The System Administrator may be the primary administrator of any number of systems or applications as directed. In addition to the specific duties listed below, he/she performs all other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.

General Duties:

• Provides second level support for all systems and applications used by associates.
• Responsible administration and maintenance of messaging infrastructure including Microsoft, Cisco Unity, and Open Source solutions.
• Responsible administration, and maintenance of a Windows/Linux environment including user management, Active Directory infrastructure, Group Policy, and Linux AD integration.
• Administration and maintenance of IP Telephony systems and end point devices.
• Uses scripting languages to automate or improve various system administration tasks. (Java, PHP, Perl, UNIX Shell Scripting)
• Responsible for backups of all critical data and systems and maintaining the backup schedule.
• Participates in the development and testing of software applications as directed by Systems Engineers.
• Administration of end-point security solutions for desktops, servers, and mobile devices.
• Assists with software deployment and maintenance including desktop images, security patches, updates, and new installations.
• Administration of print/scan/fax implementations and associated systems.
• Responsible for auditing and tracking software license usage of applications and maintaining compliance.
• Responsible for maintaining technology based documentation on system and application configuration for Operations Manuals.
• Communicate plans, status and issues to management and end users.
• Provides weekend and off-hours technical support in emergency circumstances and when scheduled.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sad/846923123.html

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Seems kind of low pay especially if it's for a company in the cranberry area of butler county, I'm going to assume it's a smaller business looking for someone that will take a lower paying job...
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    Seems kind of low pay especially if it's for a company in the cranberry area of butler county, I'm going to assume it's a smaller business looking for someone that will take a lower paying job...

I can see that pay for entry level but they want all that experience. I'd actually apply for the job if they didn't ask for bachelors and years of experience. Nobody with that amount of experience is going to take that job.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind, the person they hire probably won't fit their criteria perfectly either.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    HR person doesn't know what they are looking for.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    jmanrta wrote:
    I can see that pay for entry level but they want all that experience. I'd actually apply for the job if they didn't ask for bachelors and years of experience. Nobody with that amount of experience is going to take that job.

Do you live in Butler? I'd apply and find out what company it is honestly there are some good companies out in the cranberry area ie Mckesson, Verzion, UPMC, and a bunch of others. May be a good idea to atleast check it out if you meet the criteria.
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    I'd say that position is working subordinate to someone with a CIO or director of IT title. I doubt the person hired would be expected to do all that on their own.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey! Thats exactly what I did for the exact same salary for a year and a half. :) I learned a ton from it and stepped up quickly.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    jmanrta wrote:

Do you live in Butler? I'd apply and find out what company it is honestly there are some good companies out in the cranberry area ie Mckesson, Verzion, UPMC, and a bunch of others. May be a good idea to atleast check it out if you meet the criteria.

I live in Monroeville but I'd be willing to relocate. I have some nix and programming experience so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Or it could be a small business with 3 servers (two Windows, one Linux - there is your open source) and a single router with Cisco Unity Express running on it. Then that wouldn't be so bad - oh and like dynamik said, this is a wish list.

Or they could be huge and are just cheap. ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would second Mishra here, it is a great way for an entry level admin to get experience. Sounds a lot like my current job as well. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/