Options

VLANs and private network on Hyper-V

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Now I’m playing VLANs on Private network and have one problem. In my scenario I have 3 different Virtual Machines with 3 different subnets (10.10.10.0/24, 10.10.20.0/24, 10.10.30.0/24) and I connected them to virtual switch using different VLANs (10,20,30). Now I want to connect Microsoft Server 2003 as Router using only one network adapter to all of this networks. My problem is how I can set up VLAN on private virtual switch to allow communication between router and all subnets? Is it possible?

Best Regards

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RRAS on host.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Unfortunately impossible, has to be on guest...
  • Options
    Not sure why you're saying has to be on guest. Maybe if I explain a little more detail: Install RRAS on Host, enable LAN routing, configure your default gateway that is your home router to static route that to your Host BOX, allow RRAS on your host box to route to all the NIC interfaces, and now all your VMs can talk to other VLANs.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply,

It does make sense but I didn’t explain why it was impossible. I’m going to use fail over cluster and there won’t be any communication between host and guest network.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A couple questions. Why do you need 3 different VLANs for these machines? Why can't you use a physical router?

Also if you're doing VLANs on Hyper-V you should have a read over this:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles/networking/dealing-mac-address-pool-duplication-hyperv.html
  • Options
    PiotrIr wrote:
    Thanks for your reply,

It does make sense but I didn’t explain why it was impossible. I’m going to use fail over cluster and there won’t be any communication between host and guest network.

Well you can use Internal network instead of private. Private completely isolates the host from guest. Internal allows only the Internal NIC on host to talk to the guest not allowing anything on host segment to talk to guest. External allows guests to talk to machines on host's segment and vice versa.

So you can just do internal and do what I said and I think that'd work.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    A couple questions. Why do you need 3 different VLANs for these machines? Why can't you use a physical router?

To be honest I need around 40 VLANs. It is for network isolation. I don’t want to use switch because:
    1. Increases costs especially when you want to use failover (not main argument but important)
    2. I’m going to use NIC teaming for network adapters’ redundancy. As far as I know I may work if I won’t use VLANs on physical adapter and it won’t work in 100% if I will use VLANs.
    3. Virtual infrastructure makes this easier (don’t need more space in cabinet, less cables, easier for management)
    astorrs wrote:

Thanks for this article, it is very interesting.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Well you can use Internal network instead of private. Private completely isolates the host from guest. Internal allows only the Internal NIC on host to talk to the guest not allowing anything on host segment to talk to guest. External allows guests to talk to machines on host's segment and vice versa.

So you can just do internal and do what I said and I think that'd work.

I’m not quite sure I understand your idea. I still can’t install RASS on host because of fail over cluster (or maybe I can???). I’m just trying to imagine this configuration. Hmm if I would be able to install RASS on the host it would fix me second problem – network teaming.