CCENT book help

nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone:

I am new here and new to Cisco. I would like to study for CCENT to pass the 640-822 ICND1 there after, will go to 640-816 ICND2. There is one book by Todd Lammle and another by Wendell Odom. Since you are all had experience of studying these materials for the test, what book I should buy to study for my case newbie to networking?

Please help, thanks much for your time.
Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...

Comments

• human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I recommend the Lammle book. I read both Authors and I prefer Lammle. That said, I highly recommend getting the perspective from both authors. So in actuality you should read both.

But if I had to buy only one it would be Lammle.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The Wendell Odom is more in depth, but harder to read. I personally learned more from the Todd Lammle CCENT book. The way the information is presented was easier for me to read. I think it really depends on the person and how they prefer the information to be presented to them. If you could, go to a book store and flip through a bit of each book and see which style you like better.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I will go the opposite and say I thought the Lammle book was very poor compared to the Odom books. I bought both when I took the CCNA but found the Odom book to have everything you need and the Lammle book lacking in quite a few areas.

Keep in mind this was for the 640-801 so Lammle could have totally revamped the book, but I doubt it is on the level of the Cisco Press books.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I will go the opposite and say I thought the Lammle book was very poor compared to the Odom books. I bought both when I took the CCNA but found the Odom book to have everything you need and the Lammle book lacking in quite a few areas.

Keep in mind this was for the 640-801 so Lammle could have totally revamped the book, but I doubt it is on the level of the Cisco Press books.

the 802 Lammle book has been revamped and is now twice as think as it was! I agree there are some things lacking, but I find reading it a little easier as I find the Odom ones a little dry\heavy going at times.....
    that said if I was too only choose one it would be the Odom
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Also get yourself a copy of Packet Tracer to practice Hardware configuration. Alls I used for the CCENT was the Odom book and Packet Tracer.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Lammle personally, I find it some what systematic, or I just understand the contents easier.
  • nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like Odom book goes deep into the feature of networking and Lammle is just introduce a bit about history, and from the beginning isn't it?

So Odom book is not included Packet Tracer nor Lammle? And when I study Cisco CCENT do I have to buy some routers series to practice or not and if it is, what serie of routers I should buy to practice for the beginner networking guy. I'm sorry that I asked too much.

I will absolutely go to the book store to track the book out and read a bit and see which one is easy for me to understand but meanwhile I'm so happy to have you guys's opinions.

Thanks again guys and I appreciate your kindness.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    you might takie a look @ this http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitle/CCNA-Virtual-Lab-Titanium-Edition.productCd-0470148942,navId-290611,descCd-tableOfContents.html

I have the virtual router and I like it. Its good enough for the CCNA. Once you go onto the CCNP you will definietly need the real devices.

And dont discount Lammles book my friend, its very well written and easier to understand, imo.

Odom does know his stuff but he is a bit dry, sort of like a text book.

AS I said before, I have both and am reading Odoms ICND2 book, as well as Lammles book.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did go to book store compared 2 books and Todd Lammle's book is suited to me for reading. Thanks for all your comments and good luck to all.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The only legal way to get Packet Tracer is to go to the Cisco Network Academy. No other ways.