Options

Passed VCP-310

njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
We put in a system a couple of months ago and have been tinkering with it hands-on for about 5 weeks
Did the 4 day course last week
reviewed for about 10 hours over the weekend, took the sample test on vmware's sight and looked for a bigger bank of questions to test my knowledge.

I found what I though was NOT a brain ****, but it was and a good portion of the answers were wrong!

I said screw it and took the exam

Passed with an 88

This was by far the easiest cert I have taken. I personally think the test should be adaptive and much harder while dropping the requirement for the 4 day class. You are essentially buying your certification from VMware.

Now I have in my collection
CNA
CNE 4,5 and 6
CCNA
Linux +
and now VCP

I guess I should add a microsoft cert in there for a well rounded collection

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Congrats. I would love to take the VCP class but simply can't afford it. But hey, we can't afford ESX or any of the additional features anyway!

As much as I love VMWare, for the SMBs I work with it just can't compete with Hypervisor in terms of licensing and training costs.

Maybe someday I will buy a cert from VMWare icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you mean with Hyper-V?

"Hypervisor" is a general virtualization term.

Also, VMware has made ESX 3i available for free as well.

Congrats to the OP. I'll probably do this in a week or two. You should use CertGuard to verify your resources in the future.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good job on the pass!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Do the exam questions specify which ESX 3.5 Update is being used? I just finished up the Install & Configure class, and the instructor made several notes throughout the class of items that were new or changed in Update 2.

The mock exam online has answers that are incorrect based on Update 2.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Do you mean with Hyper-V?

"Hypervisor" is a general virtualization term.

Also, VMware has made ESX 3i available for free as well.

Congrats to the OP. I'll probably do this in a week or two. You should use CertGuard to verify your resources in the future.

I should have been checked certguard ahead of time, but I have been around the block long enough in IT to spot a brain ****. THat is why I stopped looking at the questions.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bwcarty wrote:
    Congrats on the pass. Do the exam questions specify which ESX 3.5 Update is being used? I just finished up the Install & Configure class, and the instructor made several notes throughout the class of items that were new or changed in Update 2.

3.5 RTM
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote:

Unfortunately, they appear to be mixed.
    An answer to one of the questions, was wrong based on the new minimum specs for storage, but that answer was not even available for chosing.
    The old spec was available.

Sorry to be vague but I don't want to violate and rule.

Honestly, this test was a breeze. You be fine if all you miss are the gotchas from 3.5 to 3.5r2
  • Options
    furgoonfurgoon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. I passed mine today as well with a score of 93. The test definitely is worth taking since the mandatory training is so expensive.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I really want to take this exam. Of course the only thing holding me back is the price of the course. If I can muster up 3K in the coming months, that would rule.

I would probably need about $700 to build a home lab too.
  • Options
    furgoonfurgoon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is debatable as to what this cert will actually accomplish. If my employer did not pay for the course for the whole department then I would not have done it to be sure. You are basically paying VMWARE for the cert by taking the course and having the testing center make money by taking the exam. The test should be more hands on after all it is a virtual environment. You should be tested on using the actual product in my opinion. The older Novell exams, if I recall, had you use virtual machines. Why not vmware?