Options

Another September success!

2»

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Well it wasn't really a hire more of a consolidation of resources. They're using the administrator from their sister company to cover the IT stuff over here. I am looking forward to hearing what happens when something goes wrong with the Linux server. :) But they trust him a whole lot more than me. Which is scary because he doesn't know how to deploy proxy settings via group policy and doesn't know what IPSEC is. See why I can't wait to get out of here? :D

Wow, doesn't know what IPSEC is? Does he live under a rock?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Nope, good news after all! I do start Monday! Their HR got on the ball and actually got things done. Woohoo!!! I get to quit the crazy job tomorrow! Now I can go and fully enjoy Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility. Man, these game names are starting to turn into the polar opposite of Castlevania names.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    bashtiebashtie Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    really nice, gratulations, and have fun at your new job
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! You deserve it!
  • Options
    So time for an update on how the job is going! One week over and done. Well for one I am definitely blessed with the timing of this job. It was a big leap in pay that was sorely needed, especially since my wife got laid off a few days ago. God's timing is always most excellent so much praise to him. And hurrah for my wife because now she gets a much needed break for a time! Too bad it lengthens the debt elimination plan.

Well this job isn't through me into the frying pan so far. It actually has been a bit boring this week. They're using the excuse of trying not to overburden me as to why my work load is so light but it is very obviously because they are being pulled in so many directions that they can't find the time to sit down and figure out what to do with me. The few minor projects they've given me I've solved in a few minutes. One of which they couldn't figure out for several weeks. The only big project so far has been putting together their lab room, which has been hindered by Exchange 2007 weirdness and a help desk guy who was assigned to build servers who has never done it before. I'm glad he's getting the experience though! I get the impression that they really like to hire from within so they try to grow their own guys. Next week looks to be more exciting though as they have just gotten ESXi set up and we'll be getting training on it all week.

Now as to the skills of the team, I am sadly being less than impressed. They seem to be heavy on networking expertise but very light on actual troubleshooting and server skills. Seeing how they attempted to resolve the Exchange problem was rather funny and depressing at the same time. So I'm a bit worried about learning to play in a team environment. But it is ok, I'll cope. This one looks like it'll be a good job once I learn to work with people. Speaking of which the help desk guy doesn't like me at all, because I pointed out things to him. He also lies which is not cool, but it is possible it may be lying due to forgetfulness and not actual covering up mistakes. I'll be keeping an eye on him.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did they only hire you for extra hands on their projects they can't complete or did they hire you needing you to be an admin over X servers?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Project leading and security design, not particularly for any specific servers. Though so far nothing involving security has been mentioned because of other projects but I may get some info today about that. I think basically they have too many projects on their plate and don't know what to do with them. I figure I'll get more to do once I can pry some projects out of their grasp. Training is also something I'll be doing later on down the line it looks like.