Options

Guest Access and download switch software

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

I read somewhere on these forums that you are allowed to download switch IOS software from Cisco with just a guest login, is that correct?
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe that was changed about 6 months ago and it now requires a service contract to access the downloads.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I believe that was changed about 6 months ago and it now requires a service contract to access the downloads.

I see, i can actually get to the download page, but in the EULA it states that Cisco can charge you for software that you do not have a valid "license" for, dont want to be aftercharged :)

With router software, you simply dont get to the download section itself.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well here is the deal, the Cisco software EULA says you can only download/upgrade the software on a device if it is covered by an appropriate service contract. If you do not have a service contract then it is in violation of the EULA to download it and install it. That is the same for routers and switches.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    Well here is the deal, the Cisco software EULA says you can only download/upgrade the software on a device if it is covered by an appropriate service contract. If you do not have a service contract then it is in violation of the EULA to download it and install it. That is the same for routers and switches.

Okay, was not sure if owning the switch itself was enough or if you needed a dedicated license for the device, ie. s SMARTnet support contract or the like. Thought it was free since you only needed a guest level account to download switch IOS whereas you get prompted for additional access if you goto download router IOS'es.