Options

WARNING The switch is not usable.

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
I have just got my hands on a 3550 switch through work..

When I try to boot it just loops and I noticed the output contains the message...

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!
Reason:
Error while testing CPU Interface channel 0 on switch core 0.
Bad class type field, expected 0x18, actual 0x00

Unexpected exception to CPU vector BE9D08, PC = 2C9128
-Traceback= 2C9128 2DD9AC 36FD50 303F04 1DDC04

I have gone into cisco.com and looked for errors and what might be wrong but the 2.8mb book that was downloaded did not contain the strings above when searching.

Is this just a corrupt IOS ? (in which case, how do I get a working IOS onto it?)

OR

Does it have hardware issues ?
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Reload IOS on it. Download a new copy from Cisco. Only needs registered guest access for switch IOS.

It may be a hardware problem but reloading IOS is free anyway so might as well try that first.
  • Options
    Registered with Cisco ... eventually.

Tring to download "Cisco IOS Software" is locked for me.
    Kam.
  • Options
    It is Switches Software instead of Cisco IOS.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    the lock icon by the IOS download indicates you need a valid CCO support contract or smartnet to download the IOS
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    Plazma wrote:
    the lock icon by the IOS download indicates you need a valid CCO support contract or smartnet to download the IOS
    Hmm. The lock icon just means you need to log in. "Log in required to access software with a lock Requires login and/or service contract. Guest level users can access non restricted software (firmware, drivers, etc.)"

[edit]Looking at a post of dtlokee's however, it might have changed 6 months ago to only allow you access with a contract now.[/edit]
  • Options
    May be that way now. I have definately logged in with Guest Level access but everything is stil locked out.

Will speak to my boss regarding getting a new IOS for this 3550.
    Kam.