nervous about interview - Update

jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Last week I posted about this job complaining about how they wanted a ton of skills and experience but wanted to pay low http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38713

a couple of you in the thread suggested I apply for the job to try gain experience, guess what? I got called in for an interview, but I am really scared. As you can see by the OP, the list requirements is quite exhaustive:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Possesses detailed knowledge of current technology as it relates to this position.
• Possesses decision-making skills and creativity.
• Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills
• Possesses detailed knowledge of Microsoft and Linux operating systems and related software.
• Proficient in scripting/programming languages. (Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, etc)
• Thrives on accepting new challenges and is capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrates the ability to react and succeed in a constantly changing environment.

Experience Requirements:
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years work experience.
• Minimum of 2 to 4 years systems related experience.

Educational Requirements:
• Possesses Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or equivalent work experience.

Purpose:
The System Administrator is responsible for implementation, maintenance and administration of critical business systems and applications. He/She contributes to the design and development of solutions required for business continuity. He/She performs Microsoft Windows and Linux server administration and is responsible for backups of all critical data and systems. The System Administrator may be the primary administrator of any number of systems or applications as directed. In addition to the specific duties listed below, he/she performs all other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.

General Duties:

• Provides second level support for all systems and applications used by associates.
• Responsible administration and maintenance of messaging infrastructure including Microsoft, Cisco Unity, and Open Source solutions.
• Responsible administration, and maintenance of a Windows/Linux environment including user management, Active Directory infrastructure, Group Policy, and Linux AD integration.
• Administration and maintenance of IP Telephony systems and end point devices.
• Uses scripting languages to automate or improve various system administration tasks. (Java, PHP, Perl, UNIX Shell Scripting)
• Responsible for backups of all critical data and systems and maintaining the backup schedule.
• Participates in the development and testing of software applications as directed by Systems Engineers.
• Administration of end-point security solutions for desktops, servers, and mobile devices.
• Assists with software deployment and maintenance including desktop images, security patches, updates, and new installations.
• Administration of print/scan/fax implementations and associated systems.
• Responsible for auditing and tracking software license usage of applications and maintaining compliance.
• Responsible for maintaining technology based documentation on system and application configuration for Operations Manuals.
• Communicate plans, status and issues to management and end users.
• Provides weekend and off-hours technical support in emergency circumstances and when scheduled.

THe recruiter said to expect the interview to last 1.5 hours. I am really scared because I am afraid they are going to drill me on things I am not too comfortable or have experience with like I have no experience with Java. They may also drill me on shell scripting and cicso stuff which I am not too experience with and rusty on.

What should I do if I get drilled? Should I admit I don't know but I am willing to learn as quickly as I can?

I mean it's not like I have zero experience with linux. I have setup linux in a production enviroment before. And if they didn't think I was a qualified applicant, why would they want to interview me?

So how do you guys think I should handle this interview, especially if I get drilled?[/quote]

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Be honest, don't make crap up, think on your feet, if you don't know you don't know but you do know where to find out, show them that, show them your willingness to learn.

Relax and you'll be fine!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Be honest, don't make crap up, think on your feet, if you don't know you don't know but you do know where to find out, show them that, show them your willingness to learn.

Relax and you'll be fine!

I followed your advice and you were right. Thank you so much. He asked some tech questions and some of them I didn't know and he was cool with that. Though I do need to work on my subnetting icon_redface.gif

Anyways the hiring manager wants me to interview with HR sometime within the next week. Anyone have any advice on how to get through the HR interview?
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    hr interviews are about finding out who you are and how you will fit into the company....

you've passed the hard part this should be a breeze...
    same rules apply relax and try to keep your answers simple and honest icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)