Options

Question About DNS Planning

Lets say that I was given an imperative to minimize any traffic going across any WAN links, would it be correct to say that by setting up my dns server(s) to use my isp's dns server as a forwarder you would accomplish my goal?

hoping I haven't crossed any lines...

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not an DNS expert here... anything but.

But your ISP's DNS is for anything outside your network. So go right ahead. You pay for that service.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Your question doesn't quie make sense. Are you trying not to send DNS across WAN links between offices? Are you trying to minimize the amount of traffic for DNS queries out to the Internet? More info would be great, sounds like it should be an easy thing to help you out with.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cnfuzzd wrote:

Was this a question on your exam? I can't see any other reason why that would cross any lines icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    dynamik wrote:
    cnfuzzd wrote:

Was this a question on your exam? I can't see any other reason why that would cross any lines icon_scratch.gif

shhhh CSI:microsoft may be watching.

And, fwiw, the answer to this is in transcender. Using DNS forwarders is an acceptable method of limiting traffic across your wan links. I really hate myself for not being more committed to getting transcender working *before* i failed my test. (though it wouldn't have mattered on this particular subject.

Thanks again for helping everyone

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Cnfuzzd, don't hate yourself for it. Just remember to get the free second shot voucher from Microsoft.com. After getting that, failing the exam once is not that big of a deal :)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.