802.1x and mapping home folder

fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I have 802.1x configured on our wired LAN and it s working fine. However, users cannot map their home folders. When I log on for the first time, the home folder doesnt show up and if I log out and log on again, the home folder shows up. I think this is due to some timing issues where the drive is mapped before the port on the switch is up.
Has anyone run into this problem? Please shed some light on this.

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen it but related to portfast being turned off on the interfaces, not 802.1x
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do have portfast turned on.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    fid500 wrote:
    Hello

I have 802.1x configured on our wired LAN and it s working fine. However, users cannot map their home folders. When I log on for the first time, the home folder doesnt show up and if I log out and log on again, the home folder shows up. I think this is due to some timing issues where the drive is mapped before the port on the switch is up.
    Has anyone run into this problem? Please shed some light on this.

fid500,

When you mention "...home folders..." are you talking about the Unix/Linux operating system? IF so, which flavor?
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Are you using a script to map their drives? If so, you might be able to add in some time before the script times out in the script to allow a bit of time for the port to come up.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    fid500,

When you mention "...home folders..." are you talking about the Unix/Linux operating system? IF so, which flavor?

tech-airman,

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a network drive which is commonly referred to as a home drive, I don't see how 802.1x would in any way effect a local home drive on a *nix system. I'd have to agree with redwarrior are these drives being mapped via a login script??
    Sorry I should have clarified this more.

We are runniong windows 2003 on servers and xp on workstation. Some workstation are sp2 and others sp3. The home folder is mapped in the user's profile and through a batch file (for testing).
    I used wireshark to capture traffic. When connecting to a port with not 802.1x configured, the drives are mapped correctly and I can see the batch file running. I capture SMB on wireshark. When connecting through an 802.1x port, I dont see any smb on wireshark and the startup script is not running. I have tried multipe options with no success.
    The other drives map correctly in both cases. The only issue is the home folder.
    net use "U:\\servername\users$\%username$ /persistent:yes"
    Has anyone run into this problem before?
    Does the client pass the 802.1x authentication and the port goes into an authorized state?
    Yes the authentication does succed. The problem is the script maps multiple drives and they all come up but the home folder. When I log off and log on again, the drive for the home folder shows up.
    Is the home folder first in the script? Perhaps try putting the mapping command in the script 2 times, the first one may fail but allow enough time for dot1x to complete and the second mapping will succeed.
  • ubaaojubaaoj Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Fid500,

Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    There is a group policy setting under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon called Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon. Try turning this feature on for these machines and see if it maps the drive properly then. This has worked for me in the past. Oh, and if you are using active directory, try setting the home folder on the profile tab of the users account.