Options

Sitting BSCI tomorrow morning (UPDATE: PASSED..finally)

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Yes, another one of these posts. In a nutshell my voucher is going to expire on thursday (Oct 2nd), and I have to take the test. I'm NOT anywhere near ready.. I have hardly even studied to be honest. Work has been pretty brutal, and I've been overseeing a lot of large, expensive IT projects. As a result, I've barely touched my BSCI book. It's going to be brutal tomorrow, but I'm taking it so I know what to expect for the next time. Plus, maybe it'll be a wake up call to get on the ball and study more.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to at least getting a look at what I'm facing. I already know it's my fault for not being prepared, but maybe this will be the kick in the azz I need for next time. Needless to say, I'm cramming now. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Edit: See my latest post..at the bottom

Edit: Another post..

Edit: See the newest post..

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck I guess your gonna need it!

If you haven't already I would read through the Quick Reference Sheets. I always use them for my final prep.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Good luck friend,

I 'm taking the exam again, soon.

Let know how it goes?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck!!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck! this is a tough one.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gotta give it to ya, you have some balls!

Good luck, you'll need it!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    I failed with a 711. Quite honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. I wished I had passed, but for my lack of preparation, I feel I did very well. Here's my fair assessment...

IS-IS is evil..study it a lot...this was my biggest downfall, I literally had almost no exposure to IS-IS, and it showed.

BGP was pretty easy for me..no issues there...

I thought I had multicast on lock, but I may have rushed through a few questions. I finished with 33 minutes left out of my allotted 90 minutes.

I thought the sims were ridiculously easy...at least for BSCI.

Long story short, I failed, but I feel so close, I'm going to hit it hard, and try to take advantage of the second chance promotion..although that means I have 13 days till my next attempt (for free). I hope that's enough time. Work has been so crazy that I might just fall short again.

Edit: I am scheduled for my free second chance on the 14th of this month...gotta go, time to study!!
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    The BSCI is a test you can never really prepare enough for, though it's straightforward so just review everything your score report said and hit it hard the next time.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Good luck! At least you know exactly where you are weak now and you can hit it hard. I'm really going to miss the second chance promotion. icon_cry.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that.

Pretty good score for not much study, so I'm sure you will get it next time.
  • Options
    redwarrior wrote:
    Good luck! At least you know exactly where you are weak now and you can hit it hard. I'm really going to miss the second chance promotion. icon_cry.gif

Me too. Hopefully it will be back. I have a trend with taking a test twice. I appreciate everyone's input. I read over IS-IS a bit before passing out for a bit, and it's going to be rough. I could probably spend the next two weeks on IS-IS..although I won't, because I need to hit other areas too.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mrock4 wrote:
    I have 13 days till my next attempt (for free).
    Good Luck! Make this one count!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Definitely. I'm kind of glad I failed in a way. I want to really learn the stuff, so had I passed by some luck, I'd feel like I cheated myself from "really" learning it the proper way.

On that note, I'm knee deep in some ISIS config now. Ever have a route that consistently shows up in the table (L2 route, redistributed from EIGRP into ISIS) that you could not ping for the life of you? I have full connectivity from EIGRP into ISIS..just not the other way around. Checked the EIGRP redistribute command, and it looks good..blah...

Found it..sorta. Got it working, but it's more of a band-aid, so I'm still searching for the real cause. Good practice though.
  • Options
    Debug ip packet is your friend in these situations.
  • Options
    cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the BSCI for the 2nd attempt this Friday using the second chance promotion. I too did not study as hard as I could for first attempt (got 749). I was very disapointed at first if I am completely honest, even though I knew how unprepared I was. I am hoping to nail it this Friday though!

Good luck with this exam dude!
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Best of luck on your next attempt!
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    how did you do on your second attemp.

Hopefully you nailed it.

I have my exam scheduled for Oct. 8th, wish me luck...

Good thing my High school is right next to the testing center, that way i can use my free period to walk to the testing center.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    That's what I'm talking about, in high school working on CCNP. I talked about certs in high school but didn't take action till a year or two after. Stay on that track.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Thanks..
    Yeah i got started building computers, My dad is a contractor and Does Voip work.
    I got really interested in configuring, and just messing around the Netgear router, and then my dad gave me the Todd lammle CCNA book 4th edition when i was in like 8th grade. I read some here and there, but was pretty hard to me. I really got interested in the summer of my 9th grade year, and i really applied myself, i bought my own home lab, did some practice and a year later ( Summer of 10grade year [july 7th, 2008] ) i got my CCNA. then one month later sec +, now i am on my CCNP... I really enjoy this stuff. I am also enrolled in a CCNA Net acad course for my high school, ( its a fun review)

but yeah made a mistake..

its Thursday Oct 9th... BSCI scheduled
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    Definitely don't stop with the CCNP. I knew I wanted all of that at your age, but it took me a bit longer. I'm still ahead of my peers, but I could have been even further ahead if I had been motivated like you. Live and learn...

I don't know if you've messed with it, but definitely check out Dynagen if you haven't...

IS-IS is kicking my ass..about to create a post to get some advice from some of the fella's here more knowledgeable than I am..
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck on the rematch!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed with 811! Thought I had failed it after the first 12 questions if I am honest, but I just kept going and I am glad I did. I had my usual problem with one of the simlets, where I think I don't know the answer and then as I am about to give up the penny drops.

Don't give mate and good luck!!
  • Options
    cambei wrote:
    Passed with 811! Thought I had failed it after the first 12 questions if I am honest, but I just kept going and I am glad I did. I had my usual problem with one of the simlets, where I think I don't know the answer and then as I am about to give up the penny drops.

Don't give mate and good luck!!

Wow, congrats!! That gives me some hope. I'm hitting IS-IS really hard, almost to the point of being paranoid. It's all good though...

Go celebrate bro, that's awesome.
  • Options
    buemae808buemae808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job! I have my retake in about 2 hours. I hope this one week of studying was enough to grasp the subjects that I did bad on last weekend.
  • Options
    buemae808buemae808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    **UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS POST**

Passed my BSCI with 966! I can finally relax for a little while and then probably moving to the BCMSN.
  • Options
    Wow, congrats x2..looks like I have a lot to live up to, with you two gents passing on your retakes...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cambei wrote:
    Passed
    buemae808 wrote:
    Passed my BSCI

2 x Congratulations! icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    9 days till round #2...cutting it kinda close! It's not helping that working with almost 100% foundry jacks me all up...
  • Options
    Retaking tomorrow morning. I should have given myself more time to study, as I still don't feel prepared, but I'm taking advantage of the free second chance, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm a lot stronger on IS-IS and Multicasting than I was (my two worst subjects), but I feel weaker with IPv6 since I haven't focused on it. We shall see. In 12 hours I'll be starting my exam.

I obviously hope I pass, but if not, I'm not terribly worried, I know I've got to be really close.
  • Options
    DefendingNetworksDefendingNetworks Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck. I am working on my BSCI also.
  • Options
    Woke up early, since I had a customer calling me asking me for help..nothing like some early morning troubleshooting. Sounds like an opportunity to grab a bite to eat, and review IPv6 in the parking lot of the testing center!! Wish me luck...T-minus 1 1/2 hrs!!