Options

Climbing "The Ladders"

Anyone ever used www.theladders.com to find a job?

It's advertised as catering to those looking for and looking to fill positions with 100k+ salaries. I am going put myself out there on the market after the holidays (provided the U.S isn't a 3rd world country by then) and I wondered if anyone here has had success with this site?

I love the attitude on the site:

"We list ONLY $100k+ positions. If you're not in the market for such senior-level positions, your time is best invested elsewhere. For jobs under $100k, Monster.com and HotJobs are good resources. Why not try Monster.com and HotJobs? "

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm keeping that site in my back pocket until I'm qualified for a job that's over $100K. Right now, I'm still working on my degree and advanced certs, so it's a little ways off.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would give it a pass. I'm not paying to sign up for job search site. What guarantee is there that the jobs being posted there are exclusive to that site? I would bet that you can find most of those jobs in other places. If I was looking to draw in a swath of resumes then I would certainly be posting to more than one site. Also I have read some pretty bad things about that particular site that encourage me to avoid it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Searched through some of the jobs available (use FireFox and NoScript and it will work) and there was nothing really worth signing up for in all of Washington state - especially nothing you couldn't find elsewhere.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I hope employers dont fall for this. To narrow your search to people who think they deserve 100k is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    LarryDaMan wrote:

I love the attitude on the site:

"We list ONLY $100k+ positions. If you're not in the market for such senior-level positions, your time is best invested elsewhere. For jobs under $100k, Monster.com and HotJobs are good resources. Why not try Monster.com and HotJobs? "

lool that's funny icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Network, network, network people! While the "ladders" might land you a 100k+ job, think about all the competition for it and resumes they go through on a regular basis.

A better strategy might be to network within your company and see what you can come up with. If your company's too small, move to a bigger one. Case in point: I've been working at my current job for almost 1 year making $52k. I found a position in the company that I was qualified for, working half the year, making over $100k more than my current salary. You bet I went for it, and got it. It's all about being in the right place at the right time, and you're a lot closer to those conditions if you're already on the "inside" somewhere, rather than another emailed resume into an overflowing mailbox. My $0.02.
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Your making 150k+ now?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Technowiz wrote:
    Your making 150k+ now?

He's only going to be working half of the year as well: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=263711
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Hey learningtofly, sent you a pm.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The oil business pays a lot but you have to dedicate tons of your time, sometimes living on the oil rig itself.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Mishra wrote:
    The oil business pays a lot but you have to dedicate tons of your time, sometimes living on the oil rig itself.

That is absolutely correct; I will be there for half the year, working 28 days on, 28 days off. Of course, with my gf being a school teacher, that means that we will be taking MASSIVE vacations during the summers and 3 day weekends, something I can't do now. Also, I'll get to drop my son off and pick him up at school every day when I'm off, where now I see him for maybe 1-2 hours a day by the time I get home from work. In reality, I'll get more time with the family when you look at the big picture. I'll also have webcam/skype connectivity while out there.

It's not for everyone, but it's a perfect fit for me and my family.