Options

CCIE Sec Lab Diary - or how to make Ahriakin's brain implode

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    It is getting more common, the old blueprint had you configuring a lot of the layer 2 and 3 topology so you really needed top level R&S but the current one really just needs you to understand enough to secure it without breaking it.

That's right. A lot of people who went 'dual' years back found one track helping out quite a bit with the next undertaking providing they boned up on the specifics for the subsequent track. I think as the tracks have evolved and gone their own way the labs really do stand more on their own these days. Mind you, back in the day there were far less materials available to prepare so I suppose it evens out!
  • Options
    wera711wera711 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin,

Good work. I noticed you don't have an IPS listed in your equipment. Do you feel you can pass without one?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry for the delay in replying but for anyone else reading this in future it's best to PM me, I consider this thread finished and left for posterity so I don't check it for replies anymore.

As you have probably seen IPS' are still extremely expensive. You can emulate one in VMWare but it's apparently quite a slog to get it going. For this (And my CCSP IPS exam back in the day) I relied on rack rental. Much easier and pretty cost effective. The thing about the IPS is it's not really that complicated (compare the depth of options to say an ASA and you'll see what I mean). Yes some of the concepts are hard to get to grips with and the interface/command structure is fairly different to the IOS/FOS that you might be used to but there really aren't a lot of options with them. Once you get some hands on with one and are comfortable with the interface the only thing you are likely to repeatedly find challenging is just how to write an efficient Sig.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    So I'm going to add something else and I've been debating with myself whether to or not for the last 2 days.
    One thing you will ask yourself before and then constantly during the trek is 'Is it worth it?'. Leaving the personal achievement aside I can now definitely say yes. You all know what the economy is currently like, news of massive layoffs across the world etc. Well since I updated my Linkedin Profile and resume on just Dice and Careerbuilder last week I've had 6 cold calls from recruiters (I wasn't in a hurry to get a new job and hadn't applied for any or updated the other major job sites). I had a phone interview on Friday and did the final tech-test (a mini lab) yesterday morning for a position in Dallas and knew by yesterday afternoon I had been hired. The fastest employment process I've ever been through and for a substantial boost over my previous salary.
    The reason I was debating putting this up is I don't want this to sound like blowing my own horn, I just want to show that there are very tangeable and immediate benefits to achieving the CCIE even in the worst of markets.

I am quite interested in how big the salary increase was. Can you PM more information? Just curious..
  • Options
    kkndkakkndka Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin, Richard Deal came out with a book titled Cisco ASA Configuration (published in June 2009). If possible please review the book and compare it with the ASA All in One guide by Fahim and Santos.
    I would like your opinion on using Deal's book as a one stop shop for learning to configure the ASA.

I have found your recommended reading list to be perfect for my prep. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    It's on my list, I love his books, but I don't know when I'll get a chance to read it. I'm working my way up the R&S track at the moment, though I do still try to go back and review the security material when I can so maybe later in the summer....Thinking about how to recertify already, wow, time's flying by icon_eek.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    god_of_thundergod_of_thunder Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin, when you're ready, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would appreciate some updates on your CCIE R&S Prep. Do start a new Diary for it if you find the time.
    Get JNCIA-Junos by Dec 31st.
    Then pursue the loftiest goal ever.
  • Options
    It's going sloooowwww. Still trying to finish up the CCNP level stuff, about halfway through those. Too much else to do at work, I need to recertify on this one (I can't believe it's coming up on 2 years icon_redface.gif) and the next new cert for is the Tippingpoint Expert hopefully in October....excuses excuses....
    As for a blog on my own R&S there are plenty here already with much better info than I could provide. Not much point adding to my own I think.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So you are going for the R&S as well? The more the merrier, I say!
  • Options
    It's going sloooowwww. Still trying to finish up the CCNP level stuff, about halfway through those. Too much else to do at work, I need to recertify on this one (I can't believe it's coming up on 2 years icon_redface.gif) and the next new cert for is the Tippingpoint Expert hopefully in October....excuses excuses....
    As for a blog on my own R&S there are plenty here already with much better info than I could provide. Not much point adding to my own I think.

hehehehe..dont let them pressure you. I know about work busy. You have one IE dont be greedy! Once you get the bandwidth it will all fall into place Im sure. That's half the battle!
  • Options
    Just a quick update (yes I'm still alive :) ). I recertified (Security again) on Saturday. I thought they would have improved things when they moved from Blueprint 2 to 3 and changed the written format to the Cisco standard....nope, it's still the most annoying and least relevant Cisco exam I've ever done. The lab is actually enjoyable compared to it ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I thought they would have improved things when they moved from Blueprint 2 to 3 and changed the written format to the Cisco standard....nope
    What! No v4 R&S written to re-certify? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Nah, it was getting unrealistic, the issues that kept me away from here also got in the way of studying as much as I would need to cross-certify even on 'just' the written (that's my excuse anyway ;) ). Besides I really needed to refresh my security knowledge in some areas.
  • Options
    Nah, it was getting unrealistic, the issues that kept me away from here also got in the way of studying as much as I would need to cross-certify even on 'just' the written (that's my excuse anyway ;) ). Besides I really needed to refresh my security knowledge in some areas.

Congrats on the recertify man
  • Options
    Thanks.

I'll do up a review of Richard Deal's ASA book too next week (an earlier request), I used it for the ASA side of this one and it's definitely my go-to ASA reference now.
  • Options
    jakeichan1986jakeichan1986 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow.. Reading through a path that has been paved into history..
    Thanks a lot for sharing this information...

Am starting my journey soooooon....
    Thanks for the guidelines.!!!
  • Options
    Dusting this off as I'm getting ready to re-certify again...wow....time flies. I've been focusing mostly on Juniper for about the last year so my Cisco Fu is getting weak, I'm kinda glad for the excuse to prioritize catching back up again but it is putting some other study plans on hold. Anyway my aim is to get the written done before the end of October (got the CEH to knockout too so that will get in the way). I've started (about halfway through now) with Richard Deal's ASA book again, as I've mentioned many times I like his writing style so it's a good way to ease back into the flow.I picked up the kindle edition of "CCIE Security V3.0 Quick Reference" so that will be next. I know my specific knowledge is not as good as it was when I first did this but it's so much easier now to absorb the information again (a few things that I just memorized previously now make more sense and click into place), I guess those braincells aren't completely dead....yet ;).
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! Good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Thanks.

About 3/4 through it now focusing more on principals than exact config since that's where the written lies. last night was primarily over things like Remote-Access VPN since I haven't done one outside of a lab for oh...about 4 years. I still hate the way they laid out SSL VPN configs, I've seen the same mentality with the way they changed NAT etc. for 8.3+ in that they're kinda looking at grouping config now for objects and functions (which is a good thing) but haven't gone far enough to actually modify the CLI and heirarchy to really leverage that. So you end up using a CLI with commands and options built for a flat config navigating around subsections that really work best as heirarchical/stanza based. Ah well.
    Spent some time on MPF again, I have worked with that more so not as steep a hike as the first time around. I should have that book finished this weekend then onto I might go to Richard Deal's Router Security book instead and keep the flashcards and quick-notes until last.
  • Options
    Well had to postpone the exam due to some family issues (it has not been a good month) but I'll try to finish it off this or next week at the latest. The cutoff for the current blueprint is right around the corner so I don't really have much choice, besides I need to get back to the CEH and JNCIE-Sec so it's annoying me I've had this drag on. Anyway. I've been through the latest Cisco Quick-Reference (3.0) a few times and am on the 2nd run through "Network Security Technologies and Solutions", interspersed with trips to the Cisco online docs. I ended up getting the Ucertify package also (kind've an impulse thing) but tbh have not been overly impressed, there are whole segments missing from the course material and what there is is extremely sparse. The exam questions aren't bad though, some weak and badly worded scenarios/questions in there but overall so far they've been reasonable.
  • Options
    Have to say I'm really loving having the Kindle client on my phone. Very handy for filling up free time bubbles during the day. I think I'll cave on Black Friday and finally buy a Pad, then pop it on there too. I think I'm okay on the core technologies so I'm going to focus on the peripheral stuff like MARS, CSA etc. today.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might want to look at the Surface, for a tablet.

The reviews of the RT model look great. The Pro model is what i'm hoping for - mmm, programs I need on a tablet. yay.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Aye Surface does look good but I ended up getting an Asus Transformer TF300 instead. It'll do what I need and I got a good deal on it, plus I like the crossover between my Phone and the pad, I don't need that so much with my Desktops since I plan to just RDP to them for apps that are Windows only.
    Anyway coming down to the final stages, orderly study has gone out the window in lieu of hunting down specific topics from the blueprint.
  • Options
    Passed again, so it's down for another 2 years. It remains the worst security exam I've ever sat, I never come out of it feeling like it was an achievement, just a hurdle. Pointless questions on areas that are way out of scope for what they should be covering. Absolutely written by folks who do not, or likely never have, worked in a production security environment.

Here are the resources I used this time (in order of usefulness):

Network Security Technologies and Solutions (definitely the central source for this exam).
    Cisco ASA Configuration
    The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide
    Cisco Router Firewall Security
    Lan Switch Security
    Security Monitoring with Cisco MARS
    Cisco Online DOCs, Wikipedia and other Internet sources for hunting down specifics from the blueprint (management systems in particular are not really covered very well in the preceding books, online was better)
    Cisco Security V3.1 Quick Reference (really not very good a all, no real detail).
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats...again!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ignore the spammer. I messaged him this morning to try to see what this "training" involved. Claimed in broken english to have the "real lab workbooks" for the all low price of $1500 and he accepts Paypal! Oh of course he has a CCIE (according to him) but he won't provide the number :P

Idiots like this will never get far in the professional world and I don't think anyone on this forum would be dumb enough to send $1500 to some random guy on the internet
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    serraparkerserraparker Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i strongly think juniper is taking over and it makes a lot of sense than cisco , these cisco lab is just creating dumpsters