iPhone or G1 Android

m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Whats better?

iPhone

or

G1 Android?

Comments

• jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I've been looking at the G1 as I'm a T-mobile user. All the initial reviews state that the iPhone is still better than the G1.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's going to be a flood of Android phones in the next few years, but if you're really in need of a smart phone now just go with the iPhone.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I had an iPhone and never getting one back. It's a fancy multimedia player, all the real phone capabilities are handicapped.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It's hard for me to give an unbiassed opinion because I love my iPhone. icon_cool.gif My previous phone was a MDA vario, somewhat similar hardware model as the G1 as it also had a 'slidable' qwerty keyboard and I must admit that worked pretty well (e.g.. for typing complete messages, accessing servers through SSH). Typing messages/commands on an iPhone is very doable, but a qwerty keyboard with 2 thumbs works a lot faster. The Android OS seems cool too, and it's more open for developers than the iPhone platform. For professional use a Blackberry or iPhone would in most cases, and 'for now', be better than the G1. By default, without 3rd party software someone undoubtedly will create, cannot synchronise with Exchange servers. A year from now there will be a lot more Android apps which may change a lot.

Even though the iPhone platform is less 'open' than Android (iPhone apps have to be approved by Apple before they end up in the App Store in iTunes, and those are the only apps you can install unless you 'jailbreak' your iPhone) I like the iPhone development platform so much I deciced to buy my first Mac.... 21 years after I bought my first PC I end up buying a Mac. :D It's a Mac Mini (the cheapest by far) but does exactly what I need, besides just looking good. Dev software (Xcode) is included with Mac OS X and they offer a free iPhone SDK. Took me a while to switch to Objective C (=odd syntax) but it's a lot of fun so far. I'm waiting to be approved for Apple's developer program which would actually allow me to test apps on my iPhone instead of the simulator included in the SDK, and, release some ebooks (TechNotes) and maybe some apps (practice exams) in the App Store.

Many of the known iPhone problems have been solved with the latest firmware update (2.1). It's the only version I had and it hasn't let me down once. In contrary to the previous poster I must say it's a great regular cellphone as well, much better than the Windows Mobile MDA Vario I had (which for example would start windows but not phone capabilities without any sign). 3G internet is very fast, maps and gps work great and the zooming (by pinching on the screen) works wonderful for reading webpages that haven't been designed for mobile devices. Switching between the different available connections (e.g. 3G and WiFi) works well too. It still doesn't do cut-and-paste though and without jailbreaking the options to change the looks (theme) are minimal, but that's just minor stuff I hope to see 'fixed' in future updates.

Check out this 'little' new addition to the market:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64790
    If this one would be running Android it might have been more serious competition for the iPhone.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    For Verizon people, the Blackberry Storm will be available on November 2nd. My contract has expired and I have my eye on it. More Storm news at BoyGeniusReport.
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a BB user. If VZW had Iphone I would own one.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that G1 looks like its going to be serious. i like the iphone apps, but the fact that there is no video, you cant do mms, no copy/paste and there is no physical keyboard seriously takes away from that phone. 4 of my co-workers in my dept have the iphone, they love it tho.

1154.gif
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    The iPhone AppStore is quite restrictive with apps that compete with Apple's own products, such as iTunes. If Android has an Open Source-like store (and cut-and-paste) that will sure help make it (eventually) more popular than the iPhone.
    skeet2331 wrote:
    First, there would need to be a CDMA/EVDO/EDGE iPhone.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the idea of being able to administer network devices from the iPhone. Now, if only it were a PITA, to type in a 64 character long ASCII phasephrase into the iPhone... This is where Cut&Paste comes in handy... icon_confused.gif
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    You sure the G1 Android isn't in Beta? lol icon_lol.gif

I want to see what it offers for developers, if anyone has links for that.
    Other then that IPhone has my vote.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote:

http://code.google.com/android/
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    skeet2331 wrote:
    First, there would need to be a CDMA/EVDO/EDGE iPhone.

LOL... I never said it was going to happen
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

http://code.google.com/android/

Not to impressed.

I'm sick of these companies making these phones for only one provider. Talk about screwing with hobbyist developers.

I need to have 2 phone lines, 2 year contracts and purchase both iPhone and G1 Android to enjoy the SDKs... Oh wait I forgot I need a Mac for the iPhone SDK...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    dynamik wrote:

After seeing some of those videos on that page, it has piqued my interest more. It's only a matter of time till android is used by other providers. One of the videos, the person demoing android was using a phone that was not the t-mobile g1, so who knows what provider will be next.
    jryantech wrote:
    I'm sick of these companies making these phones for only one provider. Talk about screwing with hobbyist developers.

Um, not sure what you're talking about since it's an open platform. Anyone who wants to use it can. There's going to be phones coming out regularly with all providers. The G1 on T-Mobile just happened to be the first.
    jryantech wrote:
    I need to have 2 phone lines, 2 year contracts and purchase both iPhone and G1 Android to enjoy the SDKs... Oh wait I forgot I need a Mac for the iPhone SDK...

Why do you need a G1 to use the SDK?
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally just got the iphone and its def a hit in my book. Had the blackjack before.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thing is... i want the iPhone but dont want a contract, so JailBreaking the iPhone messes up the FW and you cant update to the latest FW. So i will just get the iPod Touch and the new Blackberry 8100.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Already a program for linking an Android Phone to Exchange to at least pull your contacts....

http://gizmodo.com/5065685/android-gets-exchange-server-contact-sync-via-third+party-dev
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't realize that google went through with the phone. I thought the 'gphone' became myth and they backed out.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    TYTN II for me, It does everything, built in GPS for sat nav, WI FI, media player, HTC and O2 supply a nifty little headphones remote which is pretty cool

I agree the iphone looks better, but on function TYTN II wins for me
    Mishra wrote:
    I didn't realize that google went through with the phone. I thought the 'gphone' became myth and they backed out.

That's partially true. It's not a Google phone. They just developed a software platform that the hardware manufacturers can use.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

That's partially true. It's not a Google phone. They just developed a software platform that the hardware manufacturers can use.

Ah. I'm not much of a phone geek and don't really care to keep up. I have my Motorola Q that I've had for close to 2 years and I'm still happy with it (even though windows mobile sucks).

So thanks for the info.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • MonkeyBoltMonkeyBolt Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Boylin just get a Sony Ericsson C902 Sexiest Phone around icon_tongue.gif
    Aston Villa FC
    Pride Of The Midlands

"Because you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English thank a soldier"
    dynamik wrote:
    Actually, it's an entire new operating system on a mobile platform. People have wondered when Google would make an OS competitor to Windows and Linux; you are now seeing Google's first entry into that marketspace.