Options

MCDST Jitters

TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
So this is my first time posting on the forums. I'm finally getting ready to take the 70-271 and am worried that I'm going to fail. I've never really been a good test taker and really don't want to fail.

I've been doing helpdesk support for about 3 years now and I feel that my knowlage base is strong but when ever I try the demo questions from practice tests I tend to do really bad. What is the best way to try and study for this and really how bad / how hard is it going to be.

I'm wondering if I'm just psyching myself out or if I'm really just not ready for the test. Any ideas and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums :D

What resources are you using to prepare for the exam?
  • Options
    TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats just it. I don't have alot of cash to waste on multiple programs and / or books. So I currently haven't bought anything yet. I was looking into several books, Cram Session I think its called (the smaller red books), the Microsoft Test Prep book, and several others. I've also had my eye on several different providers for test questions. Transender, MeasureUp, CBT to name a few. I just don't want to shell out $300-$400 if its not actually going to help me.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd go with the MS Press book and Transcender.
  • Options
    HolyWarsHolyWars Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, as Dynamik said. I went particuarly mental with Transcender and it got me over the line, I also used the Sybex book. icon_wink.gif
    Don't worry man, I was concerned going in, more so on 272 but I actually did better on that then I thought I was going to during the exam.
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'd recommend sybex and the MS Press books, as well as downloading freeware like vm to setup labs and run thru each scenario to get ya mind around it, so you solidfy the concepts with the text.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Trinitynzxt, relax about these tests. They are very passable. Take the advice of the previous posters and get to work! icon_wink.gif I suggest taking the test once you start to score 90% on your practice tests. Try to understand the logic of the questions, know why the wrong answers are wrong and the right ones are right. I also suggest the "quick test, long review" method. Use the test prep software in the MS Press book to do this phase. Three weeks before you plan to test take a test every other day. Take it fast. Either you know the answer or not. If you do not know it leave the answer blank. Then print your questions and use them to review the material. Even print what you got correct. Go to TechNet, use the book, find the explanations you need. Do this for two weeks. Then in the last week before the test use another test prep software, like transcender, to do test simulations. Take the test slowly and try to get a passing score. 4 to 5 tests in the final week should give you a good indication of how you will do. I have taken 12 MS tests using this method for prep and have only ever failed once. Good luck!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Don't sweat the test-taking process too much. If I'm not mistaken, you can use Microsoft's second shot offer on the MCDST exams, which would give you a free retake if you should fail your exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dsaffardsaffar Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys

I have read the MCDST prep book, done the tests from the cd they give you, Im sitting my exam on Monday 27th Oct, so really nervous, feel like I should be learning more. Is it worth doing the practice tests on 70-270 on techexams?
    Dina
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dsaffar wrote:
    Hey Guys

I have read the MCDST prep book, done the tests from the cd they give you, Im sitting my exam on Monday 27th Oct, so really nervous, feel like I should be learning more. Is it worth doing the practice tests on 70-270 on techexams?
    Dina
    Couldn't hurt. If you don't feel like you're up to it just yet, there is nothing wrong with pushing the exam back a week and hitting the books a little harder. You can reschedule an exam as late as 24 hours prior to the scheduled time. Take the practice tests, see how you do, and decide from there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mvastarellimvastarelli Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally suck at practice tests, yet I have a 100% pass rate for every certification test I've ever taken (CompTIA and Microsoft).

The psychological element to test-taking is every bit as important as the test itself. Make sure you get a good nights sleep the night before, eat a good breakfast (so you don't get hungry during the test), are dressed appropriately (not too warm, not too cold), and arrive early so you have a chance to decompress a little before actually taking the test. If your mind is out of balance you're going to be in trouble regardless of how prepared you are.

Past that, the difficulty of these tests are dictated largely on how prepared you are. If you know your stuff then you're going to find them to be a breeze. If you're not prepared you're going to be in for a rough hour and a half.

The second shot program is attractive, but I'm under the impression that it's only valid if you don't have any other promotions. All of the Microsoft exam books contain discount vouchers for the test, which prohibits you from cashing in on the second shot as well. Someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken.
    CompTIA Tests: 220-301, 220-302, N10-003, SY0-101
    Microsoft Tests: 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-536, 70-526, 70-502
  • Options
    mannykhan01mannykhan01 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey im ure shoes to currently im reading sybex doin excercises on vmware and answering question in which i get half right and wrong so im trying mybest to
  • Options
    Hey guys

I have passed my 271 exam 2 months ago (third attempt), but then sat my 272 couple of weeks ago and got 57%, dont understand what im doing wrong, I used MS PRESS and Transcender feel like I understand the book and actually struggled more with my 271, but was getting 80-93% on transender for 272, felt the questions on the exam were difficult, any ideas on what to do please as I am resitting on wed 7th Jan 09.

Thanks for all your advice.

Dina x
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the MS press book for the MCDST. If you do the practice exams on the included CD, you should be fine. Most of the exercises in the book, you can do on your own, they help quite a bit.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Practice what is learned, that by far is the best way to retain the information, IMHO. You'll be fine. The majority of the people here self-study for all their certs. Read through a study guide stopping on occasion to practice what is learned and continue on. Some study guides come with practice exams, you can work on those as well. Some people here like to study using multiple sources because not every study guide will cover all the topics entirely, so it helps to cover areas that one study guide might be weak in where as another is strong. Patience and determination go a long way when studying. :) Give it your best, its a new year! :)
  • Options
    Hello all,

I sat my 272 for the second time and failed got 622, failed on application security and troubleshooting applications, even though i got 93% on transcender exams on those topics, anyway i have rebooked the exam for 30th Jan, going to go through the book again and sit the practice tests and do more labs in the ms press books, any more advice would be appricaited.

Thanks
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Perhaps you should purchase a new book, like the Sybex MCDST book, and read/review that one? Sometimes it helps to read about the same material from a different perspective as it seems to make more sense.

Quick question, do you have Desktop experience in a corporate environment?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    Hiya

Thanks for the reply, I am working as first line engineer, been doing this for two years now, think its exam technique, do you know how much that book is?
    Thanks
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    The paperback version goes for $26 on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide: Exams 70-271 and 70-272: Bill Ferguson: Books

My suggestion though is to do a quick search on craigslist to see if you can pick up a used copy somewhere cheap. :)

As a first line Engineer your daily tasks might be too far removed from Desktop support. Then again, I can tell you as a Desktop Tech there was little on the exam that I actually experienced while on the job.

One suggestion is, really understand the effective permissions as they are some of the trickiest questions on the test. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    I have got the MS books and using transcender, just going to keep revising I think till end of month then take exam again.