Options

Passed VCP-310 - New VCP

bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've completed the VMware I&C class, and I ended up with an 87 on my exam tonight.

Bring on the free VMware Workstation license icon_wink.gif
Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! And since 6.5 is out now you will get a license for that. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bwcarty wrote:
    I've completed the VMware I&C class, and I ended up with an 87 on my exam tonight.

Bring on the free VMware Workstation license icon_wink.gif

VERY nice score .. congrats .. Funny enough, it feels better to pass a hard exam such as VCP than any MCTS to be honest .. thats just me though :p

You'll get the license together with your certificate .. and not like Microsoft - you don't have to order it .. it just arrives within 6 weeks :) (mine arrived within three weeks actually)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats, nice one on getting the VCP icon_cool.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great!

Would be nice if I could take this.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish they had a few other "prizes" than just a Workstation license. I already have one icon_mad.gif

Congratulations on the pass!
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass, i am looking to do this after my MS track is complete
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Nice score.

I have too recently completed the I&C. Did you read the additional material too, or I&C with hands on? How did you find the questioning?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stupidboy wrote:
    Nice score.

I have too recently completed the I&C. Did you read the additional material too, or I&C with hands on? How did you find the questioning?

Thanks.

Personally : hard .... simply because they are hardly any (legal) study materials out there.

BUT (without breach the NDA) - "all" you have to do in order to pass the exam : I&C course material and PDFs..

I'd say if you know the course book from cover to cover - you'd JUST pass .. or miss it by an inch .. in order to secure your pass you need to know most of the PDFs ....

The best advise "I" can give you : Try to read each "major" PDF from cover to cover .. I don't mean like HCL lists etc... therefore "major" .... also VERY helpful : If you are not able to get real handson at the moment .. get vmware workstation 6.5 .. with a few tweaks (can be found in the forums) you can install ESX 3.5 on it .. install it and go through EVERY setting / dialog ... vmware says you need experience in order to pass the exam .. they are not lying :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stupidboy wrote:
    Nice score.

Thanks.

The coursebook from the I&C class covers the vast majority of what you need to know, but as others have said, the PDFs on the VMware site are valuable, too. Know the maximum and minimum configurations for all Virtual Infrastructure components, everything about virtual switch and port group settings, the differences in when using all types of storage (FC, iSCSI, NFS, and local), DRS, HA, VMotion, performance monitoring, etc.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Thanks for your input, I have all the PDFs that are recommended reading so I'll give these a print and read.

I did the I&C course last week so I will review the courseware and install ESX again. I think this install might have to be in a VM as the spare server is in use at the moment.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the 4 day install and config is golden.
    With a good teacher, good notes and some hands on, you will pass.

Forget the PDF's on the net. It is plan and simple cheating
  • Options
    njcowboy wrote:

These PDFs: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2.html ;)
  • Options
    njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bw,
    sorry. I will get off my high horse now.
    Yes, those PDF's are good.

I have taken several tests, CNA, CNE, CCNA, Linux +, VCP

I despise the thought of people cheating there way through the exams. This is why I am a fan of a large pool of questions with an adaptive test. Novell used to do this, not sure if they still do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm taking the course next month. I'm getting pumped now. I already have some hands on so hopefully I'll have the cert completed by the end of the year :D
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    You guys are lucky that you have companies that will pay for this!

I guess I am lucky that I have gotten to use it heavily at 3 jobs now, but I would really like to have this certification...
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    liven wrote:

I guess I am lucky that I have gotten to use it heavily at 3 jobs now, but I would really like to have this certification...

Same here, however my company cannot justify sending me to the class as I'm not the "main vmware guy".

I hope to save up enough to get it on my own.
  • Options
    liven wrote:

Yea well, you probably make 2-3 times what I do, so don't try to make me feel guilty about getting a free course :D
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    njcowboy wrote:

These PDFs: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2.html ;)

Thanks for the link. My head is about to asplode with so much information.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I hope to get VCP too.
    I am fortunate in that I run a real ESX 3.5 installation. I hit those PDFs as stated above. We'll see...