Options

RHCE and Solaris - Jobs and Market

szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Folks,

Quick rundown: I'm 19(20 in 20 days :)) , have worked for a total of 2 years. One year with Technology and both related to customer service/support. I worked at Compusa, Office Max, and now as a technical support person(one of 3) at a small Oregon Company which manufactures Employee Time Clocks. Currently pursuing degree in Electrical Engineering (mmm..MOSFET) icon_cool.gif

Compusa: Repair Computers, sell Upgrades, warranty based repairs/check-ins.

Office max:: Retail Job for paying the bills.

Oregon Small Business: Nice job, sit in a cubicle indoors answering repetitive questions day after day. The clocks are mainly Serial Port connected and now we are manufacturing ones embedded with TCP/IP and its soon going to get messy with VPN and WAN setups. Although I already have prior knowledge of those setups and terms. Overall I'm happy with it, since we don't get affected by the bad economy too much because there is so much growth.

Now, I have been running/messing/exploring linux for about a year now. I can compile my kernels (make menuconfig icon_wink.gif ) and am adept at setting it up, and configuring with various services and troubleshooting. I have been furiously hard at work trying to study for the RHCE exam. Learned to script in Python and basically am interested in learning more all the time.

But, my main question is how much will my value improve in the job market provided I pursue and achieve RHCE and atleast get certified in Solaris. I'm not looking to become a instant systems administrator, although I could manage small networks of servers just fine by myself.

Would you folks think, that I could perhaps be attractive to an employer wanting to fill a position of atleast a technician. Most jobs here are for developers for kernel. Now I know there is not much competition here in terms of people (i.e NOT like california). Jobs aren't that plentiful.

With the combination of a RHCE and Solaris, what position would I be likely to get more: Junior Systems Admin, Desktop/Server Support, Datacenter type or just technician. Im just looking for a direction here, no time frame or anything. I'm wanting to move out of my home to find something stable and suitable for me while allowing me to attend school (even at night). Also, is California a good fit, for what I'm describing considering the economy and all. Could you give me an indication as to what my pay could be? The Most I have ever made so far has been no more than 20,000 a year.

Thank you for reading such a long post. Its just you folks have to be my mentors because no one that I know is even half as involved in this business as some of you. So I would really appreciate your input. icon_cheers.gif
"Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    MOSFET/FET LOOL, you brought back some horrible nightmares icon_lol.gif ehh, the good old days

Now I see Solaris more in the high end applications. But a combination of Red Hat and Solaris is awesome.
    szkizzer wrote:
    ..With the combination of a RHCE and Solaris, what position would I be likely to get more: Junior Systems Admin, Desktop/Server Support, Datacenter type or just technician...

all of these jobs you can secure. You can be simply UNIX admin, which is a high paying job, or you can do server support. Avoid the technician positions. You can also work for Sun partners or Red Hat partners, that's a good job too if you're after exposure.

I'm doing server/storage support/design/implementation, that includes Solaris troubleshooting/setup/implementation...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com