Options

Whats a good place to start?

SacmoSacmo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am getting my certifications in A+ Netowork+ and Security+

Then going to work on some cisco certs.

I am currentley Active duty in the navy, and getting out in a year.

I have a Secret Security clearance.

I was wondering what would be a good entry level job to get into?

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you do any IT in the military?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Do you do any IT in the military?

No, Sadly I do not, I have temp experiance working with them, for a couple months but I am not actually rated for the job.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you have 3 options.

#1 Get some certifications and apply for a government techie/helpdesk/support/etc... job. They will hire because of your military work and certs.

#2 Jump into the CCNA and try for a NOC job if you see some demand where you live for NOC positions.

#3 Get your A+ and look for a CSR/helpdesk position
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

#1 Get some certifications and apply for a government techie/helpdesk/support/etc... job. They will hire because of your military work and certs.

#2 Jump into the CCNA and try for a NOC job if you see some demand where you live for NOC positions.

Awesome, thanks a lot for your help! Appreciate the tips.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Mishra wrote:

Great advice.

Option #1 will be the path of least resistance. Having a security clearnace and government experience will be VERY beneficial in landing a post military job with a government agnecy or fed contractor.

Some contracting firms with overlook lack of experience/certs if you show potential and have a security clearance. Background investigations can be costly for companies, so in areas of the country where clearances are in demand, they can be a BIG help in getting your foot in the door.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Yeah...with your clearance and military experience, apply at usajob.opm.gov and look for DOD agency type jobs, i.e. the DOD, DFAS, NAVY, DISA, etc. They are now requiring certs os their I.T. personnel and A+, Net+, and Sec+ are amongst them.

Most of the helpdesk jobs are contracted out within the DOD, so you may get a job doing Platform or Network, but they will OJT you in with no problem. I work with a guy now who got in with 10 point preference and he literally started from scratch, but is getting a hang of it. He's retired Army and was Artillery his entire career. The work is VERY spread out and everything is held close to the chest by a lot of people who have been in for a long time.

In short...apply for government job and if you aren't at least 30% disabled, you get a 5 point preference for selection and most contractors will beg for you since you have a Secret clearance...unless they require a TS.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks. Yeah I plan on getting my certs before I get into these jobs, I have been studying and as a hobby I run servers for games and such, I do relaly enjoy and I am HIGHLY motivated to get into this job field and do my upmost best!

Thanks for all the advice it sure has helped me out a lot!