Options

Brainbench

AFisherAFisher Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Years ago I had several certifications with Brainbench, this was before they were a pay per test site. I never really saw much in the industry as far as they were concerned, but I had them listed as vender independent Certifications figuring the more the merrier, anyways, I recently logged back in to the BB Site after they sent me some spam, and saw all kind of certs that are relevant to my field, so my question is; Does anyone really look to BB as a legit Certification? Is it really worth the 50$ per test, or even the subscription cost just to have them.

Originally I used their tests to judge when/if I was ready for the Microsoft test, but it's been many years since my last MS test (although I'm prepping for new ones atm) and now it seems all the good Cert cost with BB.

What do you guys think!

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Years ago before I had considered doing any "real" certifications, I was hired on to a contract which required all workers to have at least one relevant certification.... they used Brainbench as an alternative and I knocked out 3-4 in one weekend to qualify for the contract.

I think the value if there is any for Brainbench and similar sites is for employee screening and competency assessments.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Brainbench is just a way for companies to TRY and cut corners on training their employees. Putting that on your resume would look bad to someone like me.

As an aside, if a company is serious about employee training, then they are serious about mainstream industry certifications.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    AFisher wrote:
    What do you guys think!

I associate Brainbench with helpdesk level work and is not meant to be taken serious. I would get on conference calls 2-3 years ago and when I was feeling bored I would zoom through test after test after test... Each one had so many errors and was so basic to me I found them to be outright stupid.

Companies using this as a measure of anything, would be the company I would avoid like the plague. If they can't invest enough in people with real talent (outside of the cert realm even), then I don't want to be on that team.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius