Options

HP Procurve networking

lozstlouislozstlouis Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi. Anyone here done any of the HP networking skills? Are they similar to Cisco?

Comments

• Options
    dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lozstlouis, the IOS for the Procurves is very similar to that of Cisco's. They also have a decent web interface for quick changes.

What exactly are you trying to find out on the Procurves?
  • Options
    lozstlouislozstlouis Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was trying to work out if its worth doing any of the Procurve accreditations more than anything.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lozstlouis wrote:
    I was trying to work out if its worth doing any of the Procurve accreditations more than anything.

I've looked into the ProCurve Certifications because we use a fair amount of HP gear in our shop, but I wasn't convinced it was worth it. I just did some job searches for ProCurve and Cisco, and there wasn't too many hits on ProCurve compared to Cisco, and the majority of the ProCurve search results listed CCNA or higher as preferred certifications. As stated, it is very similar to Cisco gear, so I decided to go the Cisco path instead so my options are not as narrowed down.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you get Cisco certs they will be more marketable. Also, the IOS' are very similar so if you know Cisco more than likely you'll understand Procurve.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."