Changes to UniverCD STINK!

javastevejavasteve Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
The new Cisco website that replaced the old univerCD website really stinks! Most of the links don't work, for security at least. Stuff that used to work last week, now doesn't work. It keeps getting worse. How do they expect us to take the exam if the only resource available to us is a complete mess. All my practice is based on having access to the documentation website during the exam.

Either Cisco should correct the problem, or go back to the old UniveCD website. Any thoughts? Anyone like the new site?

Comments

  • apd123apd123 Posts: 171Member
    I liked the old maintained univercd ie > 1 year or so ago. The current univercd is a mess now just a complete duct tape joke of dead links and redirects in my opinion. What security section of the new site are you referring to the 12.4 router mainline security section or some CCIE Security PIX/ASA type sections? I went through the 12.4 mainline security yesterday with no dead links. Are you referring to older code like 12.2 12.3? I have not experienced one dead link or redirect in the 12.4 router mainline and have probably been through 90% of the R&S Blueprint on it. Also I have heard at certain locations they have not yet made the switch so if your date is soon you may get your wish.
  • javastevejavasteve Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    apd123 wrote:
    I liked the old maintained univercd ie > 1 year or so ago. The current univercd is a mess now just a complete duct tape joke of dead links and redirects in my opinion. What security section of the new site are you referring to the 12.4 router mainline security section or some CCIE Security PIX/ASA type sections? I went through the 12.4 mainline security yesterday with no dead links. Are you referring to older code like 12.2 12.3? I have not experienced one dead link or redirect in the 12.4 router mainline and have probably been through 90% of the R&S Blueprint on it. Also I have heard at certain locations they have not yet made the switch so if your date is soon you may get your wish.

    ios 12.2 and 12.3 have tons of dead links. IOS 12.2 is the official version for CCIE-Security exam. The VPN concentrator links were completely removed from the new doc. site, even though it is still on the Security exam. The PIX/ASA links are also not easy to navigate. I usually just use the old UniverCD but I know it won't be available for the exam!!

    Hopefully Cisco hears from others about this problem, and makes changes.
  • SlowhandSlowhand MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2003/2012/2016, CCNA Routing & Switchi Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 5,163Mod Mod
    I've seen a decline in the usability of the UniverCD as well. I'm hoping it's a transitional phase, and whatever Cisco's trying to do with it, be it an overhaul or upgrade, will get done soon.

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • javastevejavasteve Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    I've seen a decline in the usability of the UniverCD as well. I'm hoping it's a transitional phase, and whatever Cisco's trying to do with it, be it an overhaul or upgrade, will get done soon.

    That's what I'm hoping for too. I'm probably going to take my lab in January. Hopefully, by then, Cisco will make the site useful again. I feel sorry for people who have labs scheduled for OCT/NOV, because the site is almost useless for security.
  • tierstentiersten Posts: 4,505Member
    Slowhand wrote:
    I've seen a decline in the usability of the UniverCD as well. I'm hoping it's a transitional phase, and whatever Cisco's trying to do with it, be it an overhaul or upgrade, will get done soon.
    UniverCD has been screwed for a long time. No sign of Cisco actually fixing it anytime soon icon_sad.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    I ran into missing graphics in the lab with the old Cisco Docs.... and I ran into Cisco Docs today that were missing the graphics.

    Cisco needs to stop letting Marketing drive the random changes they seem to be making to their web site. The could have "frozen" the old docs and just built their new documentation structure.

    But this could just be a plot to drive sales of their real paper documentation. icon_confused.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Posts: 1,183Member
    mikej412 wrote:
    The could have "frozen" the old docs and just built their new documentation structure.

    Woa, be careful there, that might make sense mike! :) icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

    __________________________________________
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    (Leonardo da Vinci)
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    Somewhere somebody at Cisco is whispering "why didn't we think of that?"
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Posts: 2,381Member
    They have also removed many of the full .pdf files from the documentation, I like being able to carry them with me.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • apd123apd123 Posts: 171Member
    mikej412 wrote:
    I ran into missing graphics in the lab with the old Cisco Docs.... and I ran into Cisco Docs today that were missing the graphics.

    Cisco needs to stop letting Marketing drive the random changes they seem to be making to their web site. The could have "frozen" the old docs and just built their new documentation structure.

    But this could just be a plot to drive sales of their real paper documentation. icon_confused.gif

    Honestly there are so many dead graphics that this is probably the only website on earth with more grey to it than ciscos docs.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Too many Posts: 1,443Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:
    The could have "frozen" the old docs and just built their new documentation structure.

    Woa, be careful there, that might make sense mike! :) icon_wink.gif


    Yeah, don't give them any ideas...
Sign In or Register to comment.