MCSE or MCITP

The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am having trouble deciding which Microsoft certification to go for, ether the MCSE 2003 or the new MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. I've done several searches on Craig's List for MCITP and not much come up; then I did a search for MCSE and TONS of stuff come up. The MCSE is more known and more places use 2003 than 2008, but at some point 2003 will be phased out. I could always just get MCSE 2003, then upgrade it to MCITP once 2008 becomes more widely used.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you working with one or the other now? If you're just starting out and won't actually be making use of either for 12-18 months, you may want to consider starting with the MCITP.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends on a couple of things. First off, keep in mind that, while the MCSE is very popular now, it won't be too long before MCITP: Enterprise Administrator becomes the de facto standard buzzword for HR managers all around the industry. (And MCITP: Server Administrator will probably face the same obscurity that MCSA does now. icon_lol.gif ) So, if you're planning on getting in on the ground floor with Server 2008, get started on the MCITP path now, and by the time you're done there'll be more work out there for you. If you're interested in working with both Server 2003 and 2008, (getting hits on your resume for both, that is,) then go for the MCSE as well. As you said, you can always upgrade later on.

Keep on thing in mind, though. Going all the way through the seven MCSE exams, and the two or three exams required to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, will take quite a bit of time. Any cert takes time, and you're looking at doing two professional-level certs, one after the other. My honest advice, begin working on the MCITP now. You'll be spending anywhere from six months to a year obtaining it, and by that time you'll see the cert being sought after. Naturally, you'll come across the same problem we all had when we did our MCSAs and MCSEs, you'll be expected to know Exchange as well as Windows Server. You may want to think about doing the MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator, or at least the MCTS: Exchange 2007 on top of the Windows admin cert, so that may take you some time as well.

There's lots to study. Weigh your options carefully. We can only give advice, you're going to have to be the one to figure out if you want to move forward with MCITP at this stage, or go through the MCSE first. Good luck, and let us know what you decide. Either way, I'd say start with 70-620, which counts towards both the MCSE and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, which would give you a little time to decide even while you're working on the cert(s).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Both the material you learn on the MCSE and the branding of the MCSE will be employable for years to come. I would drive your attention there and then do the upgrade exams.
    -Daniel
  • The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to go for the MCSE, then I'll just upgraded it o MCITP. I am going to start with the 70-620, so that way it count for both the MCSE and the MCITP. Thanks for all of your input.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would also recommend going the upgrade exam route. Plenty more people know and respect the MCSE when it comes to job searching than the MCITP, and as mentioned this is likely to be the trend for a while.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/