Options

Client Access Licenses

ronpasa69ronpasa69 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is this ALWAYS true as a rule? If the number PC's is less than the number of users, the number of CALs is equal to the number of PC's. Likewise, if the number of PC's is greater than the number of users, the number of CAL's is equal to the number of Users. icon_bounce.gif

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not necessarily. When you install Server 2003, you choose which licensing model you want to use. You should choose the one that's the most advantageous for you. If you have 5 machines and 30 people will be sharing those, use per device, and vice versa.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What dynamik said, just remember you only get to go Device CALs -> User CALs once - no switching back later.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought you were allowed to switch it once...

I might be thinking of this though:
    Microsoft wrote:
    Q. Will I be allowed to switch between Windows Device CALs and Windows User CALs? What about TS CALs?

A. Customers who have active Software Assurance coverage for Windows Server CALs under agreements signed on or before April 1, 2003 may change their Windows Device CALs to Windows User CALs at the time of the annual true-up process. These transition rights can also be applied in the same way for switching from TS Device CALs to TS User CALs for TS CALs covered by SA under agreements signed on or before April 1, 2003.

Customers with current Software Assurance for CALs acquired after April 1, 2003 may switch their Device CALs to User CALs and User CAL to Device CALs upon renewal of their Software Assurance coverage for those CALs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/priclicfaq.mspx
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's what I mean, it's a one-time thing, you can't just switch it back and forth as you see fit.