Options

Microsoft Official Academic Course books for MCSA question

physicskidphysicskid Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I couldn't find a topic that fit my question, so here is my question.

I took a Computer Network Administrator certificate program back during 2004-2005 and to study for the MCSA 2003, I plan to use my texts that were provided with the program. The books are from Microsoft Official Academic Course, they are:

70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment by Craig Zacker (ISBN 0-7356-2031-_8_)
70-291: Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure by Greg Bott (ISBN 0-7356-2030-X)
70-294: Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a Microsoft Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure by Wendy Corbin (ISBN 0-07-294490-0)

Hopefully, once I get passed my XP exam on Oct 24th, I can move onto the next 3 exams to study and pass quickly. Can these textbooks still help me prepare for the rest of the MCSA exams? If not, are there any other books I should try and supplement what I currently that won't kill my budget?

Many thanks in advance!

M

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those don't have the greatest reputation. I'd go with MS Press and/or Sybex. Supplement that with CBT Nuggets, Transcender, and a real or virtual lab for hands-on experience. If you had to leave one thing off, I'd probably drop the CBT.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response.

Ah no! If they don't have the greatest reputation, would it be best if I just scrap these books and just fork over the money and get the recommended books?

I know these books are outdated, but to hear that the reputation isn't good. It doesn't give me a lot of faith in what my training institution taugh.
  • Options
    I just wanted to reply back to this topic to just end this discussion.

Considering my current trial with 70-270 right now and my future goals, I don't want to delay or set myself back any further.

So I bit the bullet and just said: Get the MSPress Training books! Scrap those Microsoft Official Academic Course and get tools that will actually help me. It costs a lot right now, but if I'm honest with my skills by using reputable sources, the huge cost will save me in the end.

I got the books yesterday after I placed my order Fri Oct 17th, very fast delivery in Canada. The books are outline just like the XP Training Kit book with my favourite objective cards within. No more short corners, it's just going to hurt my learning and experience later on!

I thank you humbly dynamik for your suggestion!

MY