Underestimating Certs

So every time I go to study for 70-290 I read through the chapters and notice that I know like 70-80% of the stuff already. Does anyone else find it hard to actually sit down and study for certs you already know most the stuff for? I mean I know on the test there will be questions asking random stuff, it's just so hard to weed out that stuff.
I had this same problem on the 270;271;272 exams and I barely studied because I get bored of reading what I already know. I did pass all those on first time, but I imagine it can only get harder.

Comments

• JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    That's when you know its test time. When I was last minute prepping for my CCENT I would skim through chapters but always think "Man, I know ALL of this stuff" :D. Good luck.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You'll probably get the same mileage as me. That was pretty much my reaction to looking through most of the MCSE tests. Didn't score as well as I wanted to but it was still passing.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just make sure you do some practice tests so you know what your weaknesses are. During my MCSE studies I liked to do open book Transcenders, you can figure out what you need work on real quick that way. Second Chance made me lazy though, I typically only did one or two practice tests.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have the same feeling when I try to study stuff I already know. Its hard to concentrate.

For example I'm doing the ONT now and the VoIP and QoS stuff is boring me half to death because I work with the stuff on a much higher level everyday so its hard to sit and read about PRIs and FXS ports from a beginners stand point.

Just be happy that you have a head start I guess.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can always take the approach I use(d), take some practice tests first (Transcender or Self Test Software) and read/lab up on the areas you don't immediately know the answers to. Once you're feeling confident do the practice test again and see if your hitting the >90% range, then go sit the test.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I have the same problem. I kind of zone out when I'm covering things that I already know or are familiar with, and can sometimes miss things within that reading/watching that I need. I find that sometimes I just have to muscle through it and just study, and other times I can figure out what I need to study and skip over things I already know. Either that, or I try to find new and amuzing ways to study things I find boring and/or repetitive, like using CBTs as opposed to reading for example. Now excuse me, I'm off to start some reading. . .
    sleeping.gif zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same here .. one reason I just went for the Vista exam .. and guess what .. I failed with 678 ...

The problem really is : You know soooo much and yet there a few bits and bops you don't know but reading 1000 pages to find those bits and bops is just not for me ...

I think one of the first exams I signed up for the 2nd shot because I knew I might get a surprise :)

I have two more exams left on my plan (70-646 / 70-647) and then I am done .. Need a change myself :)

RHCE - I LOVE performance based exams .. I wish every Microsoft exam would be like that ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the same issues with reading a book, I need to force myself to read slowly, take notes, and memorize things the first time through. I find that if I read it once through then go back and attempt to re-read it I will just end up skimming it because of what I remember from the first pass.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    loxleynew wrote:
    So every time I go to study for 70-290 I read through the chapters and notice that I know like 70-80% of the stuff already. Does anyone else find it hard to actually sit down and study for certs you already know most the stuff for?

I agree, I found that with the 70-290 but when you see topics arising in the exam it makes you feel good and confident to have a go at the questions.

However, I'm finding the 70-291 quite the opposite - like a brick wall at present, different kettle of fish icon_sad.gif
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    loxleynew wrote:
    So every time I go to study for 70-290 I read through the chapters and notice that I know like 70-80% of the stuff already. Does anyone else find it hard to actually sit down and study for certs you already know most the stuff for?

I agree, I found that with the 70-290 but when you see topics arising in the exam it makes you feel good and confident to have a go at the questions.

However, I'm finding the 70-291 quite the opposite - like a brick wall at present, different kettle of fish icon_sad.gif

I can't wait for the 291. I love learning new things, especially DNS which confuses me.

Well I signed up for the 2nd shot, so if i fail I can always just do it again =/