Options

Lab

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
One of the guys is selling the following over in the off-topic forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300264974538
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300265180081&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Was curious if these devices alone will be sufficient if I plan to go for my CCNP in addition to my CCNA? Thanks!
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    here are some recommendation for CCNP lab

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27576
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    They'll work well for a start. You might need some beefier (read "newer") routers that'll support version 12.4 of the IOS, like 3640s or even 1721s; dynamips will also do a lot to help you with the BSCI studies. The switches will serve you well, and the existing routers will go a long way as well. The rack is going to be your saving grace, in leau of having all those boxes sitting around on a table.

Looks like a good way to start up a lab at a reasonable price, to me. :D

(Does this mean you're coming to the dark side with the rest of us, royal?)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I have no idea if I will have time really. I'm trying to learn scripting, then I want to work on my Windows lab more and learn more about the Quest Migration Tools, ADMT, etc... Then there's the entire Netapp University I still want to go through. Then there's the CCNA and CCNP I want to go through.

WHEN WILL THIS MADNESS END?

Maybe I'll just get this and if I am ever series about doing the CCNP (that is if I even do my CCNA), I'll just get a new lab. I'd probably be able to re-sell the CCNA lab and get my money back anyways.
  • Options
    JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    that rack is good. it's twice the price in the uk.
  • Options
    What do you guys think of this for only CCNA?

http://www.dantrak.net/item/58

I was checking out the racks and came across this lab.
  • Options
    Just found this, seems like the better deal:
    http://www.ciscokits.com/cisco-dual-2501-dual-1900-switch-ccna-kit/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're going to want 2950s (or better) for switches. I wouldn't go with either of those.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    You're going to want 2950s (or better) for switches. I wouldn't go with either of those.
    Yup. 2950s are good for layer 2 stuff, 3550s are better since they can do both layer 2 and layer 3 switching. (Although, Cisco's pushing pretty hard to get everyone to start using 3560s for their labs.)

• Options
    Cool, I'll get the following then:

Two 2520 16/16 routers (unless you guys can recommend other better routers that don't cost too much more)
    Two 2950s

Again, only for CCNA. If I ever decide to do CCNP, then I'll get more equipment.

Thanks
  • Options
    How much are you paying for the 2520s, royal?

• Options
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You only really need one 2520 for frame relay. You might want to pick up a couple 2501s or something instead of a second 2520. If you're looking towards NP studies, you might want to consider getting some of the 2600XMs. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to recommend any specific models, but I believe you'll run into some IOS limitations with the 2500s. You can add an NM-4a/s or and NM-8A/S for frame relay on the 2600s. Just something to keep in mind.