how to know whether you apply an access list inbound or outb

macam308macam308 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
i'm having a hard time distinguishing whether you apply an access list inbound or outbound. anyone have an easy way or any tips/suggestions on this? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I remember having a similar confusion because I was trying to think about whether the traffic was inbound or outbound from the perspective of a network.

A simple rule of thumb:

Always look at the inbound/outbound question from the perspective of the interface on the router you are applying it to. As in... Is the traffic you are specifying going INTO or OUT of the router on that interface? And NOT whether it's going INTO or OUT of a network.

-Mike
  • macam308macam308 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mwgood wrote:
    I remember having a similar confusion because I was trying to think about whether the traffic was inbound or outbound from the perspective of a network.

A simple rule of thumb:

Always look at the inbound/outbound question from the perspective of the interface on the router you are applying it to. As in... Is the traffic you are specifying going INTO or OUT of the router on that interface? And NOT whether it's going INTO or OUT of a network.

-Mike

thanks mike! its all clear now!