Options

Subinterface ?

ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone

Just curious , For example we have a one main site (HeadOffice HO) and two brances. we are connecting two branches to Head Office use WAN technologing Frame Relay. When we have physical interfaces available on Head Office router, why we use only one physical interface and will use subinterface of of it . Suppose we have serial interface serial s0/1 why not we use other physical serial interfaces if available like s0/2 we use subinterface which 0/1.1 and 0/1.2.

Is cost saving?
because one LMI ( physical connection between Router DTE and Frame Relay Switch DCE) can have serveral DLCIs ?

Answere are requested please

cheers

Comments

• Options
    chimera82chimera82 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think if your have multiple physical serial interfaces, use them. The reason you'd use subinterfaces is because of split horizon where you wouldn't be able to broadcast out routing updates from R2 to R3. If you had multiple serial interfaces, I don't think that would be an issue. Also it would be easier to manage growth by just adding another subinterface.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's very possible that your company is only using the one physical interface to make sure they have the other in case they need to add more connections but don't run low on bandwidth. You know, keeping a spare for future use.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    There could be a few reasons why, I'm thinking it's likely due to the cost of your FR circuit. Your company is probably paying for a basic point-to-multipoint cloud.
    Jack of all trades, master of none