Printer installation not possible :<

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a machine that someone wanted to install some network printers on, but it refuses. If you go to select a printer it says: "Windows cannot connect to the printer."

The machine is joined to the domain and everything else seems to work fine. I get an IP and group policy is in affect. I can connect directly to other server/paths, but when I put in the usual route to our network printer: \\printerserver
it can't find it. o_O I can connect on any other machine with the same credentials(administrator).

*I went into gpedit.msc and printer settings haven't been configured. I enabled Point and Print restrictions and made sure it was checked. Nothing changed.
*The problem happens regardless of the account. I tried several user accounts, many with admin rights.
*Machine is clean and antivirus is up-to-date.
I saw people on other forums suggest adding the printer manually, but I don't think the customer could do that himself. He has network printers he wants to add himself.

The only thing I can think of to fix the issue, is to backup and reimage. This will take some time, of course, so I was wondering if there was a faster alternative. :P

[edit]
Oh, and I should point out that in event logs I see lots and lots of errors related to group policy.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like some sort of rights issue......is this machine newly reimaged? is this a new user? have they been able to install network printers on this machine previously?

Add the printer manually as an IP printer....

This is straight forward if you can email them the driver or put it on a shared drive for them and also know the IP address of the printer.

Don't think it's worth reimaging the machine before you try this. Talk him through the wizard.