Options

Effective Job Searching Techniques

How are people finding jobs in Toronto Canada?

I have already applied to dozens of job postings on the Internet with only one job interview.

I have contacted my friends and they have either gotten out of the IT business or moved away to a different province.

I get this feeling somebody is hoarding all the job positions.

This is getting frustrating what else can I look into to get an IT position?

Comments

• Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I have already applied to dozens of job postings on the Internet with only one job interview.

99.9% of people on these forums would say if this is true there is something wrong with your resume. Unless your like applying for something that requires 5 years experience with no experience.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep on trucking buddy!

My resume to interview ratio 40/3.

You'll eventually land a job just don't give up.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Strip the sensitive information out of your resume and post it up. You will probably get some good pointers for how to improve it.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And for something completely different, you can try techniques from this guy:

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    iburrowsiburrows Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just keep trying mate... Thats what i did and you do get somewhere in the end.

Ian
    "Trying to do today's jobs in IT with the tools we used for yesterdays IT jobs is madness"
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I feel I am bringing a knife to a gun fight.

In my job search I am missing something, but I don't know what it is.

How are people searching for jobs here?
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Retool your resume to include a projects section under experience and make it span for years. Use the projects that you done from your Microsoft Press Books if you have nothing else. Put your certifications at the beginning of the resume right after the cover letter.

Then, apply like crazy to everything on Dice, Monster, Careerbuilder, Craigslist, etc.

After that, pull out your local yellow pages, and start looking for companies by category with websites.

Medical, Educational, and Software companies are gold mines for finding unadvertised jobs. It just takes awhile to go through the yellow pages, but it's well worth it.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day