Options

For all those about to ISCW...

jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
I just finished the chapter on the firewall IOS (CBAC and ACL's) and found dynamips perfectly fit for doing the LAB side of things.

However, what do I do for the other subjects like MPLS and Teleworker services?

What are you guys that have passed the ISCW or that are preparing to use to do the LAB side of things?

Can I pass the ISCW or ONT without doing LABS? I would not think so but if you did it, what did you use to do so?

Also,

I can buy a Cisco 1811 K9-vpn router for $110
A 2560 switch for $110
A 1130ag wireless AP for $60

I though about grabbing two 1811's for site-to-site VPN and the 2560 for the BCMSN.

Would any of these devices help me pass the ISCW or ONT? Or what other devices/sims did you buy if at all for these two exams?

Sorry for asking so much... icon_redface.gif
Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Yeah hands on is extremely important so get a couple of routers that support SDM and play with them. I am not too fond of wizards but for VPN they are nice and then use the CLI to tweak the configs. For the switch did you mean 2960 if so then yes grap that too and the AP the more the merrier. :D HTH
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    The pppoe part is kinda hard to get practice for unless you have a DSL/Cable line that supports it already... maybe practice typing the commands in a router and watch it do the virtual interface but it won't actually "do" anything... of course the router has to support PPPoeE.. also read up a lot on it.

As for MPLS, you can easily do that on dynamips..it's just routers hooked up via serial connections.. hwo you setup MPLS is what divides the Provider/Customer network.

I just did the ONT without doing many labs and i regret it, i passed but my score wasn't as good as I had hoped.. I say do a few small labs for the ONT in regards to traffic shaping/policing and you should be fine.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    Yep I did mean 2960. I guess I need it for the VLAN stuff, since I am a bit rusty on implementing it at the CLI.
    However will I need two of them to do any RSTP STP stuff?

I have a DSL that is PPoA, but I don't think my ISP will let me put a Cisco device on my end.
    Thanks for the tip on MPLS, I had no idea I could do it will dynamips, which is a huge relief!

Will buying the AP help me at all with the ONT or BCMSN?

I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I don't want to waste it on any equipment that is not necessary to help pass the exam. Hence, I used the dynamips program 100% for the BSCI.

Anyone try to do site to site VPN with dynamips, if so any tips where you get an IOS that supports it? (My CCO doesn't allow me to download IOS images)

Thanks guys :D
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    MACattackMACattack Member Posts: 121
    Dude, I am planning to take ISCW and I need some reference and we could help each other for taking this exam.
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    How does your ISP have any control over what you place at your end? Most ISP's, if you call them up and demonstrate some intelligence, will be more than happy to allow you to terminate PPP on your device and it generally makes for a more stable connection. :)

I'm prepping for ISCW right now. I just finished some labs and plan on practicing with my 1710 to get a better feel for the SDM. At work, we don't even install the SDM. icon_rolleyes.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    you don't need an AP or a WLC to pass, just read the wireless stuff pretty vigorously... If you have the cash for a WLC and AP then by all means go for it ;)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    @ Plazma: Thanks for the tip, any where I can cut cost I will. Once, I get a job I will be more willing to spend money on equipment to play with.

@redwarrior: My ISP will let you do your own termination if you are paying for Business class DSL, but I have residential class. Thier internal policy forbids clients from modifing settings on the Router/DSL modem they install. I had to sweet talk the lady who came over into giving me the user/pass to make my own changes to their device. icon_eek.gif Cough, Frontiernet sucks!

Do you find the 1700 series able to help you study for the ISCW? I noticed some of them sell for $30.00 on ebay. I might go with it for cost.

@MACattack, I am no expert since I just started studing for it, but if you want to ask me anything feel free to private messages me on the board here. I usually check the board every day or two when deep in study for a test.

On a side note, I just realized I need the Advanced IP Services IOS package to do auto secure command, Doing dynamips is getting more and more out of the scope of this exam icon_cry.gif