Server 2008 64-bit & Exchange 2007 64-bit with 32-bit do

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if you can install exchange 2007 64-bit with server 2008 64-bit on a 32-bit server 2003 domain?

I read somewhere that it doesnt matter if any machine is 64-bit in a 32-bit environment. As long as the drivers are installed on the server. Clients dont recognise 64-bit from 32-bit?

anybody have any ideas that could help?

thanks.
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Operating system makes no difference (as long as it is Windows).
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Only consideration is that the 32bit domain must be in Windows 2000 native mode or above.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doesn't matter. I actually have a mix of 32 and 64 bit DC's. From the networking side, it doesn't matter.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    Only consideration is that the 32bit domain must be in Windows 2000 native mode or above.
    Really? Where did you see that? (not that we see much mixed-mode anymore ;))
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

It's true. Your domain has to be in native mode. It's somewhere in the prerequisites. I'll go look later if you actually care to see it in the docs.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    astorrs wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

It's true. Your domain has to be in native mode. It's somewhere in the prerequisites. I'll go look later if you actually care to see it in the docs.
    Interesting, learn something every day (but like I said, very few people would need to be in mixed mode these days).

Any thoughts as to the why it's required. I could see it being necessary for 64-bit DCs to exist, but for member servers it doesn't make sense - or at least I can't think of a good reason. Any ideas?
    astorrs wrote:
    royal wrote:
    astorrs wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

Interesting, learn something every day (but like I said, very few people would need to be in mixed mode these days).

Any thoughts as to the why it's required. I could see it being necessary for 64-bit DCs to exist, but for member servers it doesn't make sense - or at least I can't think of a good reason. Any ideas?

Well if you remember, Windows 2000 mixed mode allows for Windows NT4 DC's to be mixed with 2000 DC's, I believe. Exchange 2007 does not play nice with NT4/Exchange 5.5 at all... so this is why you cannot have mixed mode.

Also, you don't HAVE to have 64bit DC's. The only 64bit machine must be the Exchange Server.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply everbody!

I thought exactly as you speak, it shouldnt matter. :D

And im sure that server 2008 doesnt even offer mixed mode when you install it.

thanks again! very helpful, it saves me loads of time!
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wedge, that is correct. Windows Server 2008 does not offer any mixed mode options. The minimum functional level is Native Mode.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Wedge, where did you get your signature from...

I like it, and I would like one :)
    royal wrote:
    Wedge, that is correct. Windows Server 2008 does not offer any mixed mode options. The minimum functional level is Native Mode.

Does that mean you cannot install Windows Server 2008 as a domain controller until you raise the functional levels, then?
    gorebrush wrote:
    Well if you remember, Windows 2000 mixed mode allows for Windows NT4 DC's to be mixed with 2000 DC's, I believe. Exchange 2007 does not play nice with NT4/Exchange 5.5 at all... so this is why you cannot have mixed mode.

Also, you don't HAVE to have 64bit DC's. The only 64bit machine must be the Exchange Server.
    Lol, i forgot we were talking about Exchange in the OP... I thought you guys were saying to add a 64-bit Windows server to the domain you needed to be in native mode - duh. :)
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol, dont worry bout it astorrs, its still useful to know!

@ gorebrush - I made it myself! & i watermarked it to stop people stealing it lol.

If any moderators would like to pin a new post ill make with the images, then ill add the entire set i created. I dont have the certs yet to use them all icon_sad.gif

Post named: wedge1988 Signatures
    Cheers Wedge :)

I'm sure I'd seen a website years ago which let you pick a load of images and it would generate an online sig for you, and it looked exactly like the style you've got, but lord knows where that is now.