Options

New JOB

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
About time I break into the IT industry. I got my degree in computer networking in March and was looking for a full time position since. I finally landed a help desk position in western NY making 35k to start with free health insurance. It is not the position I was wishing for but it's a start. Any tips and ideas for what I should focus on now? Certs? If so, which ones? I would like to be more of a hands on kind of guy and off the phones, lots of advancement at this Company.
Thanks techexams!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    mbock7mbock7 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That makes two of us...

I graduate from college, with my Network security degree, this april and have been looking to get a IT job for a while. I finally got a job as a IT support technician, and even though its not the idea job that i wanted, im happy to get a foot in the door. Im not sure what kind of IT feild you want to get into but mine is security so right now i am working on my A+ and Security+. I am almost ready for my Security+ exam so once i take that and pass i will then work on my Network+. My plan is to have all three of those certs by the end of my fall semester. After i have those three i want to get some more by the end of my winter semester, but im not sure just yet on which ones.

PS- congrats on the new job!
    --Matt
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Congrats on both of you for getting your new jobs. I been in IT about 4 yrs now so I do remember how hard it was when I first started. My first job was working overnight in a call center doing tech support. It wasn't my dream job but I learned alot and was able to earn my A+ and Net+ while there. After about a year, I was able to move on to something better. So just get in there and learn what you can and after about a year, it may become easier to land a job more suitable to what you want to do.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!! :D
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Couldn't agree more. Get a foot in, and keep looking and certifying. MCSA, CCNA, (and for the guy with the Security focus, CISSP).
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    everyone has to start somewhere. good luck too both of you! keep working on those certs!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking