70-291: What Do I need to know?

Just finished the MS Press book for the 70-291. I can tell for this one MS wants you to know ALOT of new material. DNS and DHCP arent too difficuilt for me, but when it came to RRAS, VPN, RADIUS svrs, IPSec, and network security (chapter 10 and 11 of the book) it started getting fuzzy for me since I never had experience in that stuff before. Now my question is...does the test focus heavily on RRAS, VPN, RADIUS, IPSec, ect that is found in chapt 10 and 11 of the MSPress book? Thanks!
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, you'll more than likely get a lot of questions on those subjects - I did.

If you haven't done so already, get it labbed up and do the exercises from the MS book, it really helps. Like you, I didn't have much experience of RRAS but found by doing some further reading (technet) and lab practise it helped to hammer it home.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bertieb could not be more correct! You really need to lab this one and the 293 up. Get some old PCs and run a few VMs along with them. If you have enough PCs there is nothing you cannot simulate. And I just mean Pentium III era computers. I had for junky ones in my lab and then ran some VMs on my laptop. I was able to simulate some pretty fun situations. Fun if your're a geek, I guess!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Definitely make sure you grok RRAS and IPsec otherwise you could be in for a rather nasty surprise. DNS and DHCP are definitely the bread and butter of this exam though so I would still recommend going over it even if you feel that they aren't too difficult for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Definitely make sure you grok RRAS and IPsec otherwise you could be in for a rather nasty surprise. DNS and DHCP are definitely the bread and butter of this exam though so I would still recommend going over it even if you feel that they aren't too difficult for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Ahh I was hoping they werent but it looks like I might hafta run some labs to get more familiar with RRAS and IPSec.

Anything else I should know that the test frequently tests you on or would DNS,DHCP, RRAS, and IPSec be enough?
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Undomiel,
    Dude, We heard you the first time icon_wink.gif

Yeah, don't do what I did and skip the RRAS and IPsec chapters. While it's still possible to squeak by the 291 without knowing much about RRAS or IPsec, it will definitely come back to haunt you if you plan on taking the 293. Take it from me. I'm having to go back and finish the 291 chapters now after failing the 293 twice. Things are starting to make more sense now for the 293 now. The 293 builds on many of the 291 topics, so don't skip anything!

Do as I say, not as I do icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    Another question I have is if there is a lot of "subnetting" type of questions?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I had a few subnetting type questions. Without giving much away, most of my DHCP questions had something to do with subnetting. But it isnt difficult if you know your subnetting. In other words, you'd better be able to do it in your head.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    I can do subnetting in my head for the most part, just for those odd values like "192" or "254" I may have to do some quick math on the pad they give you. Any other "odd questions" I should be made aware of?