Options

What kind of salary range should this be in Los Angele area?

mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
What kind of salary range should I expect for a position like this? This is for an entry level network engineer position. I'm in the process of trying to transition from general IT work to Network Engineering.

Responsibilities:
Experience in MPLS and Frame-Relay technologies.
Administer security solutions, including firewalls, anti-virus and intrusion detection systems.
Configure network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches for the LAN and WAN infrastructure.
Monitor network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
Conduct research on network products, services, protocols and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
Complete all requests for adds, moves and changes on network systems in a timely manner, as they relate to routers, switches, T-1's, IOS configurations and other network components.
Create and maintain the various software components that relate to monitoring the computer network and the communications systems overall health.
Perform network improvements, upgrades, maintenance and repairs of network components
Prepare and maintain the documentation of network configuration and cabling layouts Perform network design and capacity planning.
Administer VPN based as well as clientless remote access solutions for remote users. Experience in VOIP would be a plus. Perform off hours maintenance and upgrades as needed.

Skills Required: CCNA/CCDA certification, TCP/IP, IPSEC, LAN/ WAN, Cisco IOS experience, 802.1x. Three to five years experience working with networks and related technology equipment. Three plus years of experience in administering Cisco hardware (routers, switches and firewalls) and networks. Solid technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards, including TCP/IP & IPSEC.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Whoa, this is an entry level position? Will they be teaching you these responsibilities or do they expect you to already have a working background in LAN/MAN/WAN technologies?

And is this job for a private firm or the City or County of Los Angeles? Less money working for the City/County or State, but much better benefits.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Put simply, you should easily be making more than $20/hr. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    Whoa, this is an entry level position? Will they be teaching you these responsibilities or do they expect you to already have a working background in LAN/MAN/WAN technologies?

And is this job for a private firm or the City or County of Los Angeles? Less money working for the City/County or State, but much better benefits.

Well, to their network engineering department, it is entry level. It seems that they expect some experience, but would be willing to train based on potential. At least, that is the impression that I got talking with someone that works there. He's the one that referred me.

This is with a private firm. I have the technical interview coming up. My friend that referred me said don't sweat it because they'll just focus on CCNA level material since that is what is on my resume. I hope so because CCNA doesn't cover everything on that job posting. icon_confused.gif

My dad keeps wanting me to get a position with LA County, he retired from them. Was one of their database programming division managers, so he did pretty well. Decent pay, awesome benefits.

KGhaleon wrote:
    Put simply, you should easily be making more than $20/hr. :D

Hahaha... yeah, that's kind of obvious. :P

I know that my current cert roadmap goes out the door if I get this position. It would focus on Cisco and Juniper with CWNP mixed in. No Microsoft.
  • Options
    mamono wrote:
    My dad keeps wanting me to get a position with LA County, he retired from them. Was one of their database programming division managers, so he did pretty well. Decent pay, awesome benefits.
    There are several different job search sites for LA County. Here are the ones I know of:

https://easier.co.la.ca.us/easier/applicant/lacountyjobs.cfm
    http://easier.co.la.ca.us/jobs/cfscripts/search_body.cfm
    http://dhr.lacounty.info/

Individual departments may also have their own portal, such as:

http://www.ladhs.org/wps/portal/

The trick is that the county is very touchy about having their applications filled out correctly. The slightest mistake and it'll get tossed.

http://easier.co.la.ca.us/JobsInfo/empapp.pdf
  • Options
    Much thanks. I've checked the LA county listing on occasion. Just haven't lately. Feel kind of under qualified from what they're asking for.
  • Options
    mamono wrote:
    Feel kind of under qualified from what they're asking for.
    Let the employer make the determination if you are qualified or not, otherwise you just might be talking yourself out of a good job.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    JDMurray wrote:
    mamono wrote:
    Let the employer make the determination if you are qualified or not, otherwise you just might be talking yourself out of a good job.

Amen.. You would be suprised at the number of jobs that will contact you even when you don't meet their requirements. I had a couple of them call me in for the interviews and ask why I applied, but I usually got a positive response.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    JDMurray wrote:
    mamono wrote:

I will second that. The job I currently have the employer contacted me for and I thought I was underqualified the entire time I was being brought in for first interviews and second interviews and even when I was being offered the job. So don't let the qualifications bother you. The employer knows what they really want and they may just be more interested in talent than in current skill sets.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate the words of encouragement and support!!! I'll work on keeping that as a firm mind set. :D