Options

What is a better certification?

BigLouBigLou Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Network+ or a CCNA? They both seem to be a entry level certification. Im looking to take one of the certification exams and I would like to know which one i should shoot for based on what im looking for.

Im not looking to work with Cisco products. So would the N+ be the better choice?

Also is it true when you pass a Cisco exam you have to become recertified after a certain amount of time?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Net+ covers general networking.

CCNA covers general networking from Cisco's point of view and an introduction to Cisco routers and switches.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    So you'd say that CCNA is a better certification?
  • Options
    quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well.. I guess you answered the question yourself. If you are not going to work with Cisco products, then you don't need the CCNA; however, if you are going into the networking field, I would get the CCNA since some basic Cisco knowledge cannot hurt you but only benefit you (with all these Cisco routers taking over the networking market lately..). I took both exams and both cover similar materials except CCNA you get into Cisco and stuff. If you have the $$, take both! After Network+, half of what you need to know on CCNA you would've already covered it on Network+.

As to what is the "better" certification, I would say CCNA.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help quickpot. A few more questions.

#1 Why do you think the ccna is the better cert. in your opinion?

#2 since you took both exams which one was more difficult?

#3 Is it true that Cisco certifications expire and you have to take updated tests to become recertified?

Thanks.
  • Options
    turtlenodheadturtlenodhead Inactive Imported Users Posts: 28 ■■□□□□□□□□
    #3Is it true that Cisco certifications expire and you have to take updated tests to become recertified?

The expiration date is 3 years. And you need to "retake" the exam.
    Also if you took both CCNA & CCNP you only need to recertified your CCNP.

#1. does network+ have expiration date?

#2. how much network+ cost to take?

#3. if I have CCNA do I already have almost all sufficient knowledge needed to take network+?
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    BigLou wrote:
    Thanks for the help quickpot. A few more questions.

#1 Why do you think the ccna is the better cert. in your opinion?

#2 since you took both exams which one was more difficult?

#3 Is it true that Cisco certifications expire and you have to take updated tests to become recertified?

Thanks.

#1 Comparing both exams...I feel that the CCNA shows a higher level of networking knowledge. This exam will help you even if your not working in a Cisco environment. They consider CCNA an entry level Cisco Cert...but compared to the Network+, it is not entry level compared to the Network +.

#2 I feel that the CCNA is much harder than the Network+. It is much more attention to detail.

#3 yes...every 3 years..unless you get your CCNP

Hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    [
    They consider CCNA an entry level Cisco Cert...but compared to the Network+, it is not entry level compared to the Network +.

#2 I feel that the CCNA is much harder than the Network+. It is much more attention to detail.

Hope this helps..
    I agree. The CCNA is issued from the same source as the CCIE if that tells you anything.
  • Options
    You guys are great. I got two more questions.

#1 Is it wise to perhaps go for the N+ first then go for the CCNA? Or it doesnt matter. Also do you need to be A+ certified to take either exam?

#2 Will a CCNA look more "impressive" than a N+ on your resume to companies? Or do they treat it as a similiar certification?

The N+ does seem like a easier exam. I took the 60 question practice exam on this site and with basic knowledge of networking i got 35 out of 60 right.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    #1. Yes it is probably wise to take the N+ first considering the level of difficulty in CCNA. They are both entry level but CCNA is entry level into a harder, more specific topic, where N+ is pretty broad & basic. No you do not need A+ to take either exam.

#2. Yes CCNA looks more impressive in my opinion and I'm sure the majority would agree but it is also specific to Cisco hardware. So it’s all in the eye of the beholder and what position you are applying for. But on a Difficulty scale it should look more impressive.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    BigLou wrote:
    #1 Is it wise to perhaps go for the N+ first then go for the CCNA? Or it doesnt matter. Also do you need to be A+ certified to take either exam?

I would reccomend Net+ before CCNA, mainly because a lot of the N+ material, you may see on CCNA. Net+ is general Networking, CCNA is a vendor specific cert for Cisco Networking. A+ is not reqiured for any certification.
    BigLou wrote:
    #2 Will a CCNA look more "impressive" than a N+ on your resume to companies? Or do they treat it as a similiar certification?

Having both would look good, but experience is key as well. CCNA would let an employer know about your knowledge and ability of Cisco Products. Net+, being Vendor-neutral, covers the basics. They are two different certs.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    A person who has passed the CCNA would probably pass the Network+ exam without even reading a Net+-specific book. OTOH, a person whose knowledge of networking doesn't go beyond what they studied for their Net+ test would be completely lost on the CCNA exam, simply because of all the vendor-specific commands and such.

As such, I'd probably go for the Net+ first. You will still need a lot more studying to get your CCNA, but you'll be well on your way.
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    I'm doing my Net+ this summer than finish my classes for my CCNA starting in the fall.
  • Options
    bwolfebwolfe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe the Network+ in conjunction with A+ can be applied as some sort of exam credit toward one of the Microsoft Certifications.... which might be one reason to do the Network+ over CCNA.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    bwolfe wrote:
    Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe the Network+ in conjunction with A+ can be applied as some sort of exam credit toward one of the Microsoft Certifications.... which might be one reason to do the Network+ over CCNA.

You can combine A+, with Net+ and count them as an elective towards MCSA. You can also use A+ and Server+ as the same elective. Click here for more information on the program
    i remain, he who remains to be....