Options

Business of IT

ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Again I'm here sharing my thoughts and hoping for some feedback. More and more my career evolves, I find temptations to stray a little from "pure" IT patch. The school I'm in offers terrible Computer Science program ( pure theory and programing) so I'm doing my major in Media & Advertising. Still I work managing small business, its network and creating graphic design matching their needs. So I basically watch 3 hats - business - IT - design.

Now, the thing that keeps me in touch in IT are certs, which I'm gradually collecting. Soon I'll have to make my decision about grad school. I'm considering getting either CIS degree or an MBA.

My thoughts are that right now my focus is spread on both fields. I'm not an expert in either IT nor business. As far as my work is concerned, it works perfectly, but sooner or later I will have to make my decision. So my question to you my fellows is:

Is there a place for me wearing both hats in the IT field, or should I just forget about one of them, and focus on my choice.

As always comments are highly appreciated...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No posts for 6.5 months!? Welcome back! ;)

How's everything been going?

You could definitely find some sort of IT management role. Most MBA programs require you to get some work experience before they'll admit you, so that may be a good opportunity to get some experiences down in the trenches. It doesn't sound like you have an extremely technical position at the moment. If you're not planning on spending at least a few years doing IT work, the certs probably aren't going to do a great deal for you. If you really want to get into business, you might be better off focusing on that exclusively. It really depends on what you enjoy and what your time line is (i.e. Some people want to get done with school, some want to wait 5-10 years and then go for their MBA).
  • Options
    rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Business and IT are highly integrated, before IT was looked upon similar to that of a utility cost. IT is now more critical to businesses staying profitable and competitive.

I actually wanted to complete an MBA in Management Information Systems but unfortunately could not afford to proceed with that part of my eduction. Maybe in the future.

A few Roles:

Systems Analyst

Business Analyst

Programmer Analyst

Project Management
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    No posts for 6.5 months!? Welcome back! ;)

How's everything been going?

Hey Dynamik :))) Has it really been 6.5 months?? Gosh, time flies. I don't know what happened, not that the fact I'm taking 17 credits in school while working 45+ hours a week matters ;)))

I'm not complaining. I'm doing good, still trying to find my purpose in professional sense of the word...

As usually thanks for your advice. You're always on the point, and now I have some food for the thought....
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • Options
    rubberToe wrote:
    Business and IT are highly integrated, before IT was looked upon similar to that of a utility cost. IT is now more critical to businesses staying profitable and competitive.

I actually wanted to complete an MBA in Management Information Systems but unfortunately could not afford to proceed with that part of my eduction. Maybe in the future.

A few Roles:

Systems Analyst

Business Analyst

Programmer Analyst

Project Management

Thanks for your response, I think that out of all four fields you mentioned I'd find myself prone towards Project Management. Actually an MBA in Management Information Systems is on my TOP 10 list of grad degrees...So I guess there is still light at the end of the tunnel