Options

Facebook

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
I can do wonderfull things connecting servers and networking across multiple continents but the facebook thing confuses the cr*p outta me. Just spent two hours tryng to sort it out as my blackberry is getting spammed by "Pillowfight" requests whatever the hell they are !

That and mobile phones (mrs put on predictive texting and I couldn't send messages for a week), video machines (where's the record button?), dvd ( had to get my 6 year old to put films on ), washing machines ( WTF ! ) and the heating system ! ( where's the frikkin "ON - I'm bloody freezing" button ? - I live in the UK ... it should know outside of June, July & August ! )

Can someone tell me why we wanted to give technology to the masses again ?
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    facebook is what is destroying the world. Do people talk face to face anymore?
  • Options
    ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wat08 wrote:
    facebook is what is destroying the world. Do people talk face to face anymore?

Face to face time? It's so 1990... ;P

I agree on it. It's scary how little time we spend in real world....

By the way, how many of you have facebook accounts? Be honest... Just for statistics, I have one, but not used too often...
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Never been a fan of FaceSpace or MyBook...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Facebook. It allows me to keep in contact with high school friends, some coworkers that I'm friends with, as well as family out of state and country.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't mind facebook. Can't stand myspace..
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have facebook and it allows me to keep in contact with all my friends that have since moved out of state or out of country. Plus many of my friends are too busy with grad school or their new family, so sometimes its impossible to meet in person. Then again, we still meet in person on occasion. Everyone's priorities are different.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    facebook is so trash now...it started goin down hill last year when they started adding all those apps, and then now, with the new look, its even worse...i stay on fb all of 5 minutes a day...and dont even get me started on the facebook im thingy...random pplz on my friends list im me sometimes...smh....so annoying because i want to go to leave the site, but i feel like i'm being rude if i do that while im'in with them...

and i liked fb when you had to have a college email to join...

oh man, myspace is even extra trash...never was a huge fan of that anyway.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    royal wrote:
    I use Facebook. It allows me to keep in contact with high school friends, some coworkers that I'm friends with, as well as family out of state and country.

Same here with MySpace as well.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    BradleyHU wrote:
    facebook is so trash now...it started goin down hill last year when they started adding all those apps
    You don't need to install anything if you don't want it.
    BradleyHU wrote:
    dont even get me started on the facebook im thingy...random pplz on my friends list im me sometimes...smh....so annoying because i want to go to leave the site, but i feel like i'm being rude if i do that while im'in with them...
    You can turn that off.
    BradleyHU wrote:
    and i liked fb when you had to have a college email to join...
    Nothing stopping you from ignoring all those people.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its funny how everyone trashes Myspace, but there are 100 bazillion accounts.

Just for the record, I don't have a Myspace or Facebook account, so I couldn't judge either way. I think some guy in Cleveland and I are the last two in the world without a Myspace or Facebook profile. Its enough for me to live the Myspace/Facebook lifestyle vicariously through co-workers and friends.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    vsmith3rd wrote:

And apparently, the vast majority of them are lonely hot chicks that want to be my friends...
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    something like 95% percent of people with the internet have a myspace. Numbers seem a little high but then again there are a ton of people. I have never had either, but i have been thinking about getting Linked-in i hear it is more for professional's and helping make business contacts, but who knows.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is Facebook?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    What is Facebook?

F'ing retarded.

I use linked in for professional networking. All that other crap annoys the crap out of me.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    vsmith3rd wrote:

And apparently, the vast majority of them are lonely hot chicks that want to be my friends...
    Wait. They're not??? icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a linkedin but no myspace or facebook. 10 years ago, I probably would have been into it.

95%, really? I guess I've really gotten out of touch on the online social trends.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    95%, really? I guess I've really gotten out of touch on the online social trends.

Like I alluded to earlier, I bet huge percentage of those accounts are just used for spamming.

I'd imagine there's a lot of inactive users as well. I technically have an account (needed to create one to see a friend's family pictures that he put on there), but I haven't used it in over a year.
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote:
    something like 95% percent of people with the internet have a myspace.
    92.3% of all statistics are made up. The percentage of people online with a MySpace page is nowhere near 95%. MySpace isn't popular in most non English speaking countries.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Myspace/facebook, texting, cell phones, and email make one way too accessible.
    Aren't answering machines bad enough?

42% of Internet users do not know what social networking is
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=14946
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Funny, I was just thinking we should have a Techexams Facebook page or group...
  • Options
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have a myspace that I hardly use except to contact friends from back home every once in a while.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have no facebook, no nothing icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rfult001 wrote:

lol...u should make it happen...

but tiersten...i know i can block the im thingy, just too much of a hassle to go into the settings and do all that. yeah i'm lazy...i dont deny it. and i definitely dont add the apps...i just hate gettin the notifications saying someone has sent me a particular app...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote:
    i know i can block the im thingy, just too much of a hassle to go into the settings and do all that.
    You can just click the Chat button on the floating toolbar and go offline.
    BradleyHU wrote:
    yeah i'm lazy...i dont deny it. and i definitely dont add the apps...i just hate gettin the notifications saying someone has sent me a particular app...
    I recently got nagged enough by everybody that I did sign up. Thankfully the initial enthusiasm for apps has worn off for most of my friends so I don't get bombarded any longer with stupid app invite requests.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    vsmith3rd wrote:

Just for the record, I don't have a Myspace or Facebook account, so I couldn't judge either way. I think some guy in Cleveland and I are the last two in the world without a Myspace or Facebook profile. Its enough for me to live the Myspace/Facebook lifestyle vicariously through co-workers and friends.

Never signed on either one either, so make that 3.

I just don't what is 'so cool' about either. Is it no longer acceptable to phone or e-mail people?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote:
    rfult001 wrote:

Just make sure to talk to Johan (Webmaster) first. I can't remember the exact reasons, but I know he didn't want to create a TE group on Linked In. I assume the same would go for Facebook. It wouldn't hurt to bring it up though. If you're really interested, send him a PM or post in the Suggestions / Comments forum.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    BradleyHU wrote:
    rfult001 wrote:

Just make sure to talk to Johan (Webmaster) first. I can't remember the exact reasons, but I know he didn't want to create a TE group on Linked In. I assume the same would go for Facebook. It wouldn't hurt to bring it up though. If you're really interested, send him a PM or post in the Suggestions / Comments forum.

Since when did the gestapo start policing the creation of facebook groups?
  • Options
    wat08 wrote:
    Since when did the gestapo start policing the creation of facebook groups?

I think a better question is: Why would you want to do something that goes against the wishes of this site's creator? That just seems like a jerk move. icon_rolleyes.gif