Lab guidance from the experts (CCNP/CCIE)

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. I've been reading through the forums trying to find something similar, and I've found some great info, but I just need a bit more, and some opinions if possible.

After knocking the BSCI out, I was intending to go for the ONT/ICSW, saving the BCMSN for last, since layer 2 is going to be rough for me. I'm now looking at tackling the BCMSN now, so I can quickly knock the rest out, and get onto the CCIE R&S written exam. My question is pretty basic, while I understand 3560's are now used in the labs, would I really be lacking if I got a couple of 3550's, and some 2950's? What would a realistic number of switches be to have?

I was looking at getting two 3550's, with 3 2950's, which would surely be more than enough for the BCMSN, but also leave me room for growth. I use Dynamips primarily for routing labs, so that's covered, but I definitely need a lot of work with switching.

I appreciate any input you guys can give. I just don't want to buy some gear that in 6 months will not work for my studies. But, on the same note, 3560's are costly..

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You probably should have posted this in the CCNP or CCIE forum; I think you'd get more eyes on it that way.

I was under the impression that you only needed one 3550 for BCMSN, but I might be mistaken. Why don't you just buckle down and get BCMSN out of the way, so you'd only have the "easy" exams remaining? ;)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd rather "take a break" and knock the easy ones out first. I have limited exposure to QoS, as I used to work with VOIP, so that's why I was leaning towards ONT. ICSW would be good because it would apply directly to my current role, and maybe even help me figure out some strange issues in the process.

I have read that the general consensus is one 3550 would work, but I'd like to be able to play with Layer 3 etherchannel..just a personal thing really..

I didn't post it in the CCNP forum, since I'm more of curious of what others would do, and I'm not really looking at the CCNP now. It's more of something I'd like to attain in the process..does that make sense?

Edit: I was checking out mindtech, which I used back in the day for the CCNA. They are quickly looking like a viable option, as $10/hr for access to a full topology including multiple 3640's sounds pretty nice..any thoughts?
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Two 3550s would be plenty, don't really know how you would simulate something like HSRP, VRRP or GLBP with only one unless you paired it with a router.
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Edit: I was checking out mindtech, which I used back in the day for the CCNA. They are quickly looking like a viable option, as $10/hr for access to a full topology including multiple 3640's sounds pretty nice..any thoughts?

That sounds real nice and plenty to lab up what you need to do for the BCMSN. Honestly there isn't all that much that requires the 3550s except for what is mentioned above and then in the ISCW you have MPLS. If I had to do it over and didn't have access to the lab I used when I did it I would go with the $10\hr option.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Awesome. Yeah, I made a typo..I was messing with a 3640 image when I posted that. What I meant to say was, Mindtech has a nice topology with 3560's, which are currently being used on the CCIE R&S. Not bad.

I still plan on acquiring my own gear eventually, but for the time being it looks like rack rental may be the best option as far as switches go.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Awesome. Yeah, I made a typo..I was messing with a 3640 image when I posted that. What I meant to say was, Mindtech has a nice topology with 3560's, which are currently being used on the CCIE R&S. Not bad.

I still plan on acquiring my own gear eventually, but for the time being it looks like rack rental may be the best option as far as switches go.

If I remember correctly Paul Boz said he did his study with only 2 2950's and was able to get the job done, by all means if you have access to the switches though use them. I think we have enough in inventory in my company's lab that I can set 2 or 3 up to get some labs done.

EDIT: was actually on internetwork expert today and saw they have some nice rack rental prices...I didn't get to read if there was any fine print but looks like something i'll look into as well.

http://www.internetworkexpert.com/ccie_rack_rentals.htm
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was studying for the BCMSN before I switched gears to the BSCI I was looking at rack rentals for the multi-layer switches. I think there are even a couple out there that are free. Only downside I saw to this was that you are allotted a timeslot, which sucks for flexibility.

I am fortunate enough now to have 4 or 5 3750s in my test lab so I'm definitely covered in that aspect now and I have two 6513s in production... :P
    Yeah. There was a free rack site, but back when I looked at it, there was a huge wait for time. Mindtech is good, since you can almost literally schedule time on the fly..they're pretty flexible. I'm leaning towards that route. I'm going to have to do some hard thinking and decide which route to go.