Options

MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician

paul66paul66 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I work in IT On the road for a few years now, I am going to do the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician to start of with and then some server 2008 exams. I want to possibly do the 2 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician exams before xmas or shortly after maybe 2/3 weeks into january at the most.My problem with these types of exams is i study go all out and say to myself that i will book the test when i am ready, but what happens is i get lazy and forget about them.(like i did with the A+) so i want to set a time book the 70-620 vista exam today for monday the 24th of november,this will put me under pressure which is good. and so i have to start studing straight away, then when i get that, i plan to start studing for the 70-622 and possibly book that exam before or shortly after xmas, although my main objective at the moment is to get the 70-620 out of the way. is from today to the 24th of november enough time to do this exam, or could i move it forward etc? or do i need more time. i work with vista day to day, but not in massive depth like some people, but i know my way around it..

thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome to the forums.

It depends on your experience really, though I personally found the 70-620 straight forward and it didn't cause me any issues. I studied for around a month using the MS Press book and playing about on Vista.

Good luck.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on your background and study habits. I did mine in about ten days, but I was pretty well versed in everything before I even started studying. What resources are you using for your studies?
  • Options
    well i got the CBT nuggets today. what you think are they good? any other options i should look at?

thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    I'd definitely add the MS Press book. You're not going to get by without a written resource. I'd add on Transcender if you have the money.
  • Options
    do i need that book for reference or would i basically need to read and learn the whole book, over 800 pages!! icon_eek.gif

thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    Hehe, you're going to need to become a reader if you want to be successful in IT; there's no substitute for written resources. That's actually one of the thinner books you'll come across. The good news is that most MS Press books are about 50% practice questions, so it's not 800 pages of content. I can't remember of the 620 book is like this or not. I know the 297/298 are NOT; those are ALL content ;)
  • Options
    kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    make use of Microsoft's Second Shot

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx

imo just schedule your exam ahead of time so that you are motivated to studying.

if you don't pass that's fine because you can take it again.
    WIP: can't decide.
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Having just finished reading the MS Press book, I'll chip in: it's all content, not the usual two parts. Much of it is describing practices though, which I highly recommend you do, not just read. It will help digest an otherwise really dry book.

The author tries to sweeten it with personal anecdotes, but they're honestly not that funny or insightful (e.g.: half a page long story on how he once jumped in the pool with a thumbdrive in his pocket that he had not backed up...), so if you decide to skip them you will shave another 20 pages or so off the book length.

Boring as it may be, do read a book on the topic, as the exam covers stuff you may not deal with in your day to day use of Vista (Parental Controls, Tablet PC settings, etc).

I will be taking the test next week, I'll let you know how useful the book was (or not), as it is my main reference.