Options

answer file with image question

ranjitcoolranjitcool Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I am sure all the gurus have done this and although I can google it, I thought I should get some advice from you guys too.

I have a task of having an answer file made for a windows 2003 server because we often rebuild systems.

What imaging software do you guys suggest and are there any issues i need to be careful about ?

please let meknow

thanks
RJ
Cleared Network+, MCTS.
Want to clear - CCSA, CCNA, VCP for now.

Spending time @ www.itgrunts.com - Tech Juice, Not from Concentrate!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've found Ghost to be great for imaging.

Only issue I would say to be aware of is that there is no default setting for entering in a Product ID into the answer file when running through the setupmgr.exe options. You need to open the sysprep.inf file in notepad when you're done, and assuming you have an enterprise license so you can use the same product ID on all your installs, you add the following:

[UserData]
    ProductKey=12345-abcde-12345-abcde-12345

Obviously you put a valid key in there.... icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

Yeah we do have enterprise licenses and lol for a moment i thought you gave out your license key and was like "sweet!!" lol!

i have never actually made a answer key based image.. and also never have used an imaging software.. so would i have any instructions on the imaging software.. ?

please let me know

PS. listening to this diane rheme show on NPR radio at work.. if she doesnt stop talking i will surely fall asleep!! "th is is d i aa nnee rhee me sho w" what the deuce !!
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.

• Options
    Imaging can be very easy or very difficult, depending on your needs/environment. Basically, you follow this standard procedure:

1. Create a baseline. This means using your most common platform hardware/software. Install your OS, all updates, and any additional software that is used commonly on your network.

2. Clean up temp files, delete any profiles created when installing stuff (like your network admin account), clear the start menu, run disk cleanup, clear the event logs, etc.

3. If you added the computer to the domain, remove it.

4. Create a folder on the root of C:, called sysprep. Your sysprep.inf file and any additional stuff should be in here.

5. From the START/RUN menu, type:

C:\Sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet

6. Let sysprep run and the computer will automatically shut down. DO NOT START THE COMPUTER AT THIS POINT. We are going to boot from a floppy or CD and now we run our imaging software to create an image of the computer. You will need to refer to your documentation for whatever imaging software you choose to use.

Note, these are basic and general steps. If you need to add additional driver support for various hardware platforms, there is more work involved. If you have a single fairly standard platform with only minor differences this might be all you need, as the "-mini" switch will cause the newly imaged computer to run a min-setup and detect new hardware that is plug-and-play compliant and for which Windows has built-in driver support.
  • Options
    oh thanks sprkymrk!!

that was awesome totally.. and yes i do need additional drivers, the raid controller drivers i believe.

any idea on that ? do I slip stream those ?

please suggest!

thanks
    rj
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.

• Options
    Oh i got a q.!

can i do a baremetal install or fresh install to a virtual instance ?

please let me know

thanks
    RJ
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.

• Options
    ranjitcool wrote:
    oh thanks sprkymrk!!

that was awesome totally.. and yes i do need additional drivers, the raid controller drivers i believe.

any idea on that ? do I slip stream those ?

please suggest!

thanks
    rj

Hey ranj:

For additional drivers you'll need to include them in the C:\Sysprep\OEM folder. I would suggest googling the MS site on sysprep, as it has been quite a while since I have had to do that. Also, if I recall correctly, there are a few reasons you would need to create a seperate image and one of those reasons I think was IDE/SATA/RAID drivers.
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Ghost is awesome.
  • Options
    is it free?
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.