Options

A quadruple CCIE

Comments

• Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I don't doubt he is a smart guy but it sounds like he is one of those freaks of nature that remember everything! I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast :)

But I still think my statement remains that some of is knowledge is dead knowledge, especially MCSE NT 4 which I am more than sure that he doesn't really need right now.

Well it does prove however if you work hard and study hard you can really make it to the top and earn respect of many of your peers.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    strauchr wrote:
    But I still think my statement remains that some of is knowledge is dead knowledge, especially MCSE NT 4 which I am more than sure that he doesn't really need right now.

I don't think there's anything called dead knowledge, IMO. Knowledge is like a house --a brick house if you may-- and one brick holds the other to form a complete house. This guy studied NT4 --I agree the technology per se is irrelevant today-- but it sure did serve as a building block for all the other higher-class stuff he learnt afterwards.

So nothing's really useless when it comes to knowledge; and a strong foundation (no matter how old and outdated) will always do it's job of holding your building together.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at the bottom of his cert list, looks like he is working on his 5th one (Voice) and he would be working on a 6th one (Design) if it wasn't discontinued.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    thejmanthejman Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "It is possible to hold multiple CCIE certifications. This is done by passing both the written and the lab exam in a particular track. As of August 1, 2006 there are 898 individuals who hold multiple CCIE certifications. Of those, 147 hold three or more CCIE certifications. Currently, Adeel Ashraf, Usman Abbas, Donnie Carlo, and Drew Bailey are the only four people who hold all 5 CCIE certifications."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCIE

Thought you guys would be interested in this. Scroll down to the "Expert-level certifications: Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert," last paragraph... icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there need to be an Emoticon for d#mn and sh$t.. angel.gif

that would be the only thing i can say for those guys.. thats like a dream for me
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That will be our new Cisco Forum mod, Mikej here shortly. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i got a new role model icon_eek.gif:)
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    benjiga69benjiga69 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This gentleman's resume is impressive. Judging from the pics though, about the only certification that he doesn't have...is within the realm of cable management. Ha Ha.
    That which is easily obtained, is lightly esteemed!
  • Options
    Uber-GeekUber-Geek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    benjiga69 wrote:
    This gentleman's resume is impressive. Judging from the pics though, about the only certification that he doesn't have...is within the realm of cable management. Ha Ha.

The point isn't cable management. :) It's a lab. It changes. At least that means I'm busy with consulting or other projects...

If it were something more static, I'm well versed in cabling as well. Even done some lacing in my time.

Scott
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Lacing sucks doesn't it. Bet you are glad you never have to do that anymore. Me too!

Haha. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Multiple CCIE's? Clever bloke, and an impressive amount of kit that guy may have in his lab, but I've seen a monkey cable better than that.

(I bet that's the least of his worries, and yes, I am jealous hehe)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sorts feel sorry for the bloke, i bet he hasnt got time to do anything but study :S

having one CCIE is probably enough, you can get 70K+ /annum for one!

icon_eek.gif who the h*ll has that many routers? does he own the local power grid? icon_eek.gif

->> STUPID QUESTION. icon_confused.gif
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before anyone sticks his foot in his mouth, please be aware that the owner of that lab and possesor of quad CCIE's also frequents this forum and posts here on occasion. icon_cool.gif

Hint:
    Uber-Geek wrote:
    The point isn't cable management. It's a lab. It changes. At least that means I'm busy with consulting or other projects...

If it were something more static, I'm well versed in cabling as well. Even done some lacing in my time.

Scott

icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    ^ Indeed. Though Scott probably heard it all before. Comes with the territory of being exceptional.

As he wrote in his "So you want to be a CCIE" article:
    When you set out on the path towards CCIE, you need to realize a few things:

The written exam is about theory and technical tidbits; the lab exam is about making it happen and configuring the devices.
    It is not a reality-based exam.
    It requires that you have no social life during your studies.
    It will test everything you thought you knew about technologies and then some.
    But ask a regular dentist, for example, how many time he/she has for a social life after or during study. Based on the little communication I had with Scott he's a lot more social and down-to-earth than you might expect from a quadruple-CCIE.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Before anyone sticks his foot in his mouth, please be aware that the owner of that lab and possesor of quad CCIE's also frequents this forum and posts here on occasion.

I was only saying it in jest (honest!), I didn't mean any offence to anyone. Besides, If I had quad CCIE's then that'd be the least of my worries hehe. I've got 18 'test/development' Win2K/2K3, Longhorn Beta servers in a rack at work and the cabling is truly horrendous because it gets changed so often when I want to rejig it.

No offence intended icon_redface.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi bertieb, I wasn't necessarily picking on you. And I'm sure Scott can take a little kidding too even though I don't know him personally.

I just didn't want people to get too carried away with their opinions. It's kind of like talking about someone and then find out they were standing right behind you listening the whole time. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Man I ain't NEVER gonna stop studying now! I'll probably die from an overworked brain...or from partying to hard when I pass a test lol
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, I know this guy personally lol... Ironic... icon_rolleyes.gif

He lives in the same shithole as me *laughs*
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    makosgamingmakosgaming Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, so I'm here to clear up an error. None of the people listed above have all 5 CCIEs. that information was added to wikipedia as a prank. Those people may have that many CCIEs by now, but the initial information was false. This is why Wikipedia cannot always be a valid source.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that is truly amazing. makes me depressed
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nethead wrote:
    I used to be on another forum with Scott Morris but he hasn't been around much recently. He has a fantastic knowledge though and the last I heard he was working on his CCIE - voice - his 5th CCIE track.

I don't know if its still the case. but of the quadruple CCIEs out there Scott used to be the only one not working for Cisco.

Also he is an example that you don't need a degree in Computing to get there - he studied journalism!

Great guy!

I'm sure he has the Voice knocked out by now. If not, I'm sure he will get it sooner or later. Very inspiring to say the least. I wonder how old Scott was when he got his first Cisco certification. icon_eek.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    strauchr wrote:
    Well I don't doubt he is a smart guy but it sounds like he is one of those freaks of nature that remember everything! I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast :)
    icon_lol.gif

There sure are some very smart people in the world - and there's me thinking about starting CCNP, Security+ and Linux+ icon_rolleyes.gif
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    geezer wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    icon_lol.gif

There sure are some very smart people in the world - and there's me thinking about starting CCNP, Security+ and Linux+ icon_rolleyes.gif

Everyone starts from some point, i wish you good luck geezer :)

And yes Scott Morris is a very well known CCIE, the fact he has four is an amazing achievement, I bet he makes a fair amount from consultancy.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Is the rumor mill I got this from at all accurate, could a CCIE "rent" out (associate) his/her number to a company in order for that company to achieve the points or whatever is required to become a gold partner (or any type of partner)?
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CoryS wrote:
    Is the rumor mill I got this from at all accurate, could a CCIE "rent" out (associate) his/her number to a company in order for that company to achieve the points or whatever is required to become a gold partner (or any type of partner)?

This is the rumor, and there are companies online set up to do this for people, according to Cisco audi policies it is not allowed without some sort of contract (12 month or longer from my understanding)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/download/certification/audit_051203.pdf

In any event I don't know that I would rent out a number to a partner based on the non-compete enforced between Cisco partners, it would make it more difficult to go work for another partner.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ITRayITRay Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am wishing at least to get single CCIE status... talk about having 4 must be very prestigious including lot of $$$$
  • Options
    linkadminlinkadmin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look at this guy mates he has ccie in all the five tracks i guess the only one

http://www.intexpert.com/tarun_profile.html
  • Options
    Poison ReversePoison Reverse Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif
    He probably has no social life though (struts out feeling better)

I seriously wouldn't eevn want to go that far. I'd rather specialize and then chill and enjoy life. THere has to be some sort of salary ceiling that one can get when it comes to this Cisco pyramid, although i've heard of a ccie who got a 500k bonus! works for a high end financial institution.
    I'm a CCVP, so whatchya sayin'?

[quote:e64f0204e0="damsel_in_tha_net"]Oh shoot! Is that Angel Eyes? :shock:.[/quote]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's probably just a hobby for him. If he continually chips away at them over the years, it really doesn't seem that hard to obtain. It's not like he got them all in 18 months.
  • Options
    rymetymeukrymetymeuk Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow, of course we can appreciate how intelligent he is, but the thing I took from reading all of his "life story" on his site was that he has a natural thirst for knowledge-or so it seemed to me.

I don't think many of us are made of the same cloth as Scott; it'd be enough to satisfy my career ambition to obtain one CCIE let alone 4!

Good article, and amazing lab!!