Layer 3 switch functionality out of a router

singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
I am looking to get a layer 3 switch functionality out of 2600Xm router by installing NM-16ESW module. My aim is to practice BSMSN commands, do you guys think it would have all the necessary commands to practice for CCNP switching exam. I am going to run IOS 12.4.

It’s a cheap alternative to buying 2 3550 switches, and since I already have 2 2600’s colelcting dust and 16 port ethernet module cost less than half of 3550 with EMI image.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Thanks.

Comments

  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you already have the NM-16ESW? If not, why don't you just copy your IOS image to your PC and load that module up with dynagen/gns3?

    I can't give you a definite answer, but I don't think the NM is going to be an adequate substitute for a 3550 on BCMSN.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It will help if it is all you have, but like dynamik stated it will not support all the functionality of a 3550.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Too many Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Do you already have the NM-16ESW? If not, why don't you just copy your IOS image to your PC and load that module up with dynagen/gns3?

    I can't give you a definite answer, but I don't think the NM is going to be an adequate substitute for a 3550 on BCMSN.


    Definitely not. I think I even had trouble with things as simple as ether channel. I finally gave in and bought some 2950s. For multilayer I had planned on rack rental, but I now have access to a plethora of multilayer devices so I'm one of the lucky ones.... :P
  • singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Thanks for your input guys.

    I find the Dynagen/Mips quite cumbersome, just a personal opinion. I like to practice on a real gear and i think of the money spent on Cisco equipment as an investment rather than expense.

    What do you folks think of 3550 with SMI image, would that have the command structure that helps aid in switching exam?
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SMI image should allow you to do most things. If you have a valid CCO account\contract# those guys I believe are software upgradable to the enterprise image
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should upgrade it to EMI, which works perfectly. Technically, you're not licensed to run EMI on SMI boxes - but it works perfectly. I wouldn't do it in a corporate environment, but for a home lab it's no big deal.

    I don't think you need a CCO for switch images, that's only for routers.
  • singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Thanks folks, I do not have a CCO but I beleive I do have an EMI image somewhere, not sure. I was under the impression that switches that come preinstalled with SMI are not upgradable, now atleast that confusion is resolved.

    What do you think about the Bryant advantage DVD, how does it stack up against the CBT. bryant's cost about $400 more over CBT, Is his material worth the price??
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On dynagen using the NM-16ESW module, you can do most of the switching command, there are some minor quirk that is unavailable but you can definitely do etherchannel/trunking/vtp etc. Basically it should cover all your BCMSN's need, I tested it out myself.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Sepiraph wrote: »
    On dynagen using the NM-16ESW module, you can do most of the switching command, there are some minor quirk that is unavailable but you can definitely do etherchannel/trunking/vtp etc. Basically it should cover all your BCMSN's need, I tested it out myself.

    NIce to know for the exams :)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    singh8281 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I do not have a CCO but I beleive I do have an EMI image somewhere, not sure. I was under the impression that switches that come preinstalled with SMI are not upgradable, now atleast that confusion is resolved.
    It is the older 2950 switches that don't allow you to upgrade from SI to EI.

    Newer devices are beginning to appear that require you to have a license key loaded into the unit. The firmware you load is the same for everything. The license key is what determines what feature set you get.

    For the 3550 however, it doesn't require the special license keys. The hardware is the same whether it is running IP Base (SMI) or IP Services (EMI). You're supposed to have a valid SMARTnet contract and the paid IP Services upgrade for that unit however before downloading anything from CCO.

    As for the NM-16ESW. There are things it doesn't support. Especially since Dynamips doesn't implement switching very well. A NM-16ESW can't be that much cheaper than a 3550?
Sign In or Register to comment.