New to forum....Passed 601 but failed 602, Any Advice?

tmarch291tmarch291 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice. Last Saturday (10/1icon_cool.gif I took the A+ Essentials test and I got a 850/900. This morning, I took the A+ IT Tech exam and I got a 620/700. I'm an 18 year old in High School who has a reasonable knowledge of computer. I studied off and on for a few months using Mike Meyers book.

I was just wondering if the IT Technician exam is really that much harder than the essentials exam. When I took the test, I thought I did alright on it, but I guess not. I was wondering if I should take the 603 or the 604 test instead, if they are easier.

I am more skilled with hardware and I do very well on the Communication/Professionalism sections on my practice tests.

As of now, I'm just bummed about wasting the $150 I paid for the test. (It's a big ripoff just for spending 30-40 minutes in front of a PC)

Thanks for all your help,
Tim

EDIT: Also, if I take the 602 exam again, will it be the same quesitons?

Comments

• BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No the questions will not be the same, you got a great score in the 601 the 602 has a lot of safety, dealing with people etc from what I remember.

You should use the print out you got to go back over the areas you were weak on!

Just brush up on these areas and re-sit, I'm sure you'll pass it next time around.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sorry to hear you missed passing your exam. Review the 'weak' points that printed out on your pass/fail report and review those for a couple weeks....then schedule the exam again.

About feeling disappointed, that is normal. Most people are pretty shocked for a bit, but that is part of this process and most people (provided they take enough exams) will fail a few along the way.

It's not that you are a failure, it is that you have an opportunity to learn the material a bit better. How much do you work with this material? You stated you are in HS, so it's not likely your career...but more of an interest or hobby. You are close to a passing score. Study up and try again. You'll get it.

While I understand not desiring to invest another $150 into the exam, if you do not, you'll never have the certification.

Chin-up, you'll make it
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tmarch291tmarch291 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your help. I decided to retake the test on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll pass this time and get my certification!

Also, just to check. Is a 620/900 really just 62/90 questions answered correctly?

Thanks a lot.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tmarch291 wrote:

Also, just to check. Is a 620/900 really just 62/90 questions answered correctly?

Only CompTia knows and understands their scoring. Some questions are weighted others are BETA and so there is no 100% absolute answer available and if you ask CompTIA directly, you will not receive a confirmed answer.

Basically, always shoot for your absolute best.

Sorry not more help on that one.

Good luck Wednesday
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tmarch291tmarch291 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • flammablecamelflammablecamel Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    620/700 is a fail? Or did you mean 620/900.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    You just have to analyze the areas where you are weak and reinforce your knowledge. Types of processors, IRQs, speeds?

Think of what went wrong not if there is an easier alternative.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tmarch291 wrote:

It's a big ripoff just for spending 30-40 minutes in front of a PC)

Maybe thats why you failed cos in the exam I took I got 1 hour and a half to take the test
    rushing through the exam wont help you at all maybe you need to use the time more wisely to look at the questions in more depth then you will have a better chance of passing
  • License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The reason u failed is becuz there is absolutely no limit to the amount of bullchit these SOB's will ask u on these exams.....all of which have absolutely nothing to do with our jobs...and also which don't mean chit to me that they want things done one way...I been doing them my way just fine for oh 10+yrs now??!!
    here's a few examples from the same exam u failed that were the equivalent of dribble to me...as they don't play a donkey's hair in anything that I do.

"Is Mac osX ?
    a)solaris
    b)linux
    c)unix
    d)xxxxx"

"When a technician is working on a monitor what should he make sure to do ?

a)use a static mat to lay down the monitor on b4 discharging.
    b)shut down monitor open then turn back on while open...then shut off.
    c)use an ESD wrist band connected to the chassis of the monitor immediately after opening.
    d)xxx"

The above question gave no option to decline and never open a monitor which is what the books constantly repeat to u to NEVER DO. Also real life I wouldn't anyway. Unbelievable TRULY.

What is another name for an EIDE hd?

a) AT
    b)SCSI
    c)PATA
    d)SATA"

I chose PATA but have yet to find any confirmation as of yet...but beyond this is what would be the point in knowing this dribble tidbit?

"When the NIC's Link light is on it means:

a)you are connected to another ethernet device
    b)you are connected to the internet
    c)xxxx
    d)xxxx"

I chose other ethernet device but it can mean your connected to the internet wtf?!!! Who knows how they chose to look at this answer.

"What is the most secure method of connecting to your WAN.

a)bluetooth
    b)infrared
    c)wep
    d)xxxxx"

WTF??? it can go any way depending on how they want to look at it!!! infrared forces u to be in the line of sight of the device so the person would have to be in the building to use it....this is a good measure for security as he would have to stare u in the face as he hacks away....
    bluetooth also offers similar range....WEP is wireless and unless configured with their modest security it can offer no security.....and no the 4th choice was not LAN which would have been easily the most secure. Unfugginbeleivable.

"what is the path to turning on hibernation
    a,b,c,d."

WTF???? u want me to memorize that tabs??? why???????depending on the day I'm having I'll either go straight to it or I'll simply pick through them big deal???trust me they were all alike.

"In order for accessory updates to happen automatically in a printer what protocol do both the computer and the printer need to run on?

a) LDP/LPR
    b)xxxx
    c)xxx
    d)xxxx"

Out $168.00 during a ruff economy....and now have to face more study time for this dribble of a test....rather than to focus on a microsoft.
    It is one thing to put up with this nonsense from Microsoft and a whole other to get it from losers like CompTia....I really can't beleive they established themselves this well into the field.

I don't have any desire to learn layers or OSI models...but I guess they will come in handy for something microsoft later.....but honestly?? they are truly taking advantage of us.
    And no one is monitoring their testing methods.
    **** for chumps??cant agree with any of u there....not under these conditions.
    It is one thing to fail knowing u don't know something....but another to fail due to an inability to frame or question relevant information is another. There should always be 1 clear answer...not a debatable and confusing 2 due to a poorly or INCORRECTLY phrased question.
    When did this test arrive and fuggen park itself in the $300.00 dollar range? Not even Microsoft.
  • LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I know how it can really suck when you have to pay more money to sit for the exam again. Join the club. But if you are going to be working in IT for many years to come there are going to be certifications you will pass and others you will fail. I've failed many certs. But passed them the second time.

My advice will be not to take the 603 or 604 just because you think they might be 'easier'. Study and pass exams that will help you progress your career, not what's easier.

Certifications are only a ripoff if you don't do anything with them. If you use them to climb another step in your career ladder then they are worth the time and money you have spend getting them.

So stick to what you want to do, and you will get there, like all of us have :)